We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mtwapa cheap accommodation in the village

Brian_723
Level Contributor
356 posts
1 review
Mtwapa cheap accommodation in the village

I am looking for cheap accommodation in the mtwapa area for under 20 pound a night ,any suggestions please ,nothing flash, lucky really I doubt I could get flash for this price anyway lol .

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
16,589 posts
55 reviews
1. Re: Mtwapa cheap accommodation in the village

Hi,

You can get a large, clean, modern room (ceiling fan - no a/c) at Kendas Arcade Hotel for around 1,500/- a night (£12). There is also the original Kendas Hotel at the other end of the township on the other side of the road. I took a fellow TA member to Kendas Arcade last week, he is going to stay there for a couple of days when he returns to Mombasa later this week. Tel 0415480148 or 0725580256

For apartments, I pass a place called Merry Villa flats on the way from the apartment to the main road, thought I'd pop in and have a look at one. It was clean and reasonably furnished, nothing special but had a double bed with a big fan over, surrounded by ceiling to floor mosquito nets, small sitting room with two armchairs, a two seater settee and tv, with ceiling fan, small balcony off. Small kitchen with fridge and two gas rings. Toilet with shower . 24 hr security. About 250 - 300 yards down beach road from kendas arcade. 1500 bob a night. I suggested it to a friend and he stayed there in a 2 bedroom flat for 2,000 bob a night. He said it was good, but the only thing was the singing at the Catholic church opposite woke him at 7 every morning. Tel 0727430469 / 0733877613

There are lots of other places, these days, Daveliz Guest House, Hippo Guest House, Kerstin’s Apartments (with swimming pool http://www.kerstinsapartments.com/ ), Mtwapa Creek Cottages (http://mtwapacreekcottage.com/mtwapa_creek/ - a bit more than your budget) to name but a few – not that I’ve seen inside any of them.

On my walks and bike rides around Mtwapa I've recently noticed Destiny Inn, a modern, immaculately kept building at the north end of Mtwapa (set back about 100-150 yards from the main road opposite Club Lambada

Kendas Arcade and Destiny Inn are marked on the map in the FAQs, I'll mark some of the others as well

Edited: 19 October 2010, 07:29
Brian_723
Level Contributor
356 posts
1 review
2. Re: Mtwapa cheap accommodation in the village

Doffcocker Thank you very much for some excellent recomendations .i shall have many more questions in the comming days if you do not mind , you have been very helpfull Thanks .

herts england
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
3. Re: Mtwapa cheap accommodation in the village

i have been 3 times to kerstins apartments , very quite and about 20 minutes walk to main road . nice pool,though small ,and bar is available.will be returning in jan 2011.recommend it to you . lovely couple ,nothing is too much bother

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
5,619 posts
46 reviews
4. Re: Mtwapa cheap accommodation in the village

Have a look @ The Beach Africa in Mtwapa..

…facebook.com/pages/…

Place for Backpackers with cheap rooms & campng area + local restuarant.

Mtwapa
Level Contributor
24 posts
5. Re: Mtwapa cheap accommodation in the village

There are many apartments and lodges to stay in Mtwapa, some new, some with a doubtful reputation for example Kendas has recently been subject to unfortunate thefts. Have a look at our website http://www.mtwapa.info. Estate Gate Lodge is brand new just opened their doors. There is Prestige Apartments, a bit more expensive but with swimming pool. Ever thought of Mtwapa Creek Cottages? Very nice environment with hornbils and monkeys on your balcony in the morning.

The contacts and/or websites for direct contact with the hotels are on above site.

Good luck and welcome to Mtwapa!

Edited: 10 January 2011, 14:19
Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,589 posts
55 reviews
6. Re: Mtwapa cheap accommodation in the village

Hi,

Just a word of caution to anyone wanting to go to the Beach Africa, it is not as close to the main road and easy to find as their publicity might imply,

I bumped into two very hot and bothered girls outside the Mtwapa Beach Resort next to Jumba la Mtwana ruins (this resort never opened and is now private housing). They asked me if I knew where a place called The Beach a was, when I said I did they said I was the first person they had asked who did. They had got off the matatu at the correct place the Kenol Filling station and asked people around there, no-one new where it was and somebody mistakenly sent them to Mwtapa Beach. As it happened I had just passed the Beach Bar, as it is known locally, as I had just ridden cross country on my mountain bike from Mtwapa, and although it was only around ¾ of a mile as the crow flies, it is not a simple route, involving tracks and paths. They had to return to the main road, back to main road, which would have involved quite a walk before they got to a spot where motor bike taxis wait, then back to Kenol where I told them to ask a motorbike taxi to take them to the Beach Bar. In total they would have had to go about 4 miles, they had backpacks and it was very hot.

It is about a 25 minute walk from Kenol and there are only a few small signs, marked Beach Bar not Beach Africa, on the not-straight forward way to it.

If you are intending on using it it is marked on the map in FAQs on the forum page

Mtwapa
Level Contributor
24 posts
7. Re: Mtwapa cheap accommodation in the village

True people don't know The Beach Africa. When you ask for Beach Bar they might bring you to Mtwapa Beach, also known as Custom Beach. Its not the right place too, its only few hundred meters along the beach to The Beach Africa but at high tide you can't pass through even by foot.

Its somehow rural and you can get lost easily, not all people speak English very well.

Take a taxi stationed at Kenol, most taxi drivers know the place from there.

nairobi
1 post
1 review
8. Re: Mtwapa cheap accommodation in the village

Merry villa flat is such a terrible hotel. Do not stay here.

We arrived after a tiring journey all the way from Nairobi and the reception guy received us with an annoying attitude as if we are bothering him. Hot shower is not even anywhere close to warm, water is going every direction wetting all over the bathroom. We told the receptionist about it and he said it is not broken and we must use the switch on the wall, which we all know even if you are a 5 year old child....

The building is old and does not look clean. Fan is old fashioned and about to fall. Also there is frequent powercut and there is no backup power resulting you will not sleep well together with a very hard bed that makes a lot of noise. They claim to have DSTV connection, which only shows E! channel and nothing else.

Finally when we told the manager lady that we are leaving to another hotel so we wanted a refund to the 2 nights we were not going to use she started yelling and shouting at us that she was saying sorry and we should stay because she is going to check shower tonight. Eventually she took 50% of our money and chased us away, she could not even agree to compromise a bit because according to her she said sorry and they are all human beings so they will make mistakes.

So all those things that are on their brochure like `DSTV connection` `well ventilated rooms` `charming and professional staff` are lies and you are only going to pay to spoil your holiday there. In fact it is better to stay at home than coming here

St Ives, United...
2 posts
9. Re: Mtwapa cheap accommodation in the village

a safe, cheap accomodation,shanzu.etc.Also does anyone know what has,or will happen to the former african safari club hotel chain?

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,589 posts
55 reviews
10. Re: Mtwapa cheap accommodation in the village

Their Shanzu hotels are now all being refurbished under new management

Edited: 13 June 2011, 17:21
Get answers to your questions about Mombasa
Recent Conversations