We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buses from Mombasa CBD to Miritini SGR Station

Level Contributor
40 posts
45 reviews
Buses from Mombasa CBD to Miritini SGR Station

Hello good people. Does anyone know if there are buses from Mombasa CBD to SGR Miritini station? and possibly where one can board them?

Thanks in Advance.

19 replies to this topic
Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
5,619 posts
46 reviews
1. Re: Buses from Mombasa CBD to Miritini SGR Station

Pretty sure you can pick up a Matatu from Town.

Being a Backpacker, you should have no problem riding one.

Level Contributor
40 posts
45 reviews
2. Re: Buses from Mombasa CBD to Miritini SGR Station

Thanks Stefano. Yes, I don't mind Matatus. Was wondering if there is a specific point to pick them but I will look around.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
16,589 posts
55 reviews
3. Re: Buses from Mombasa CBD to Miritini SGR Station

Is this a personal question or is it another question you've 'been asked' on your website? 😎

https:/…

Kenya Railways introduced a courtesy bus service from the old railway station in Mombasa to the SGR station when the service started back in June but I think it was only an introductory service for the first week of operation.

There are 'agencies' in Mtwapa and Shanzu that, for a small fee, will book your ticket for you and also take you to the station, in a bus from Mtwapa or a 'people carrier' from Shanzu. I don't know if anybody offers this service from CBD. I doubt anyone would offer it as a scheduled service as the traffic mayhem between town and the station and airport over the last few months would make it impossible to run to a timetable. Many people have missed the train by being stuck in traffic

Level Contributor
1,520 posts
4. Re: Buses from Mombasa CBD to Miritini SGR Station

I had a look at your site. If you do get the answer you needed here, it would be courteous of you to credit the TA member who advised you.

Level Contributor
40 posts
45 reviews
5. Re: Buses from Mombasa CBD to Miritini SGR Station

Thanks for your advice. It is actually on a personal level. I have used the service twice to Mombasa and once from Mombasa to Nairobi. On that occasion, I used private means to Miritini.

I haven't had information on the bus services from Mombasa and since I will not have much time from Mtwapa on the return date, that is why I am seeking prior advice. But yes, I would also share the advice on the FAQ page on my blog to help others and give credits to the person.

Thanks again.

Level Contributor
40 posts
45 reviews
6. Re: Buses from Mombasa CBD to Miritini SGR Station

Hi Philip, Of course, i will do that.

Mombasa, Kenya
Level Contributor
12 posts
13 reviews
7. Re: Buses from Mombasa CBD to Miritini SGR Station

You can catch the SGR Terminus bound at the old Railway station in Mombasa from 5:30am and at or from 11:00-1:00pm for the afternoon train

Buderim, Australia
1 post
8. Re: Buses from Mombasa CBD to Miritini SGR Station

How do you get from Mombassa terminus to mombassa CBD? Is Uber or taxi the only way?

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
16,589 posts
55 reviews
9. Re: Buses from Mombasa CBD to Miritini SGR Station

I've no personal experience of the SGR but according to the Kenya Railways website :-

"In Mombasa, boarding is at the Mombasa Terminus in Miritini; customers are picked up at the old Mombasa Railways station and transported to the Terminus by buses. The same buses will transport customers on arrival from the Mombasa Terminus to Mombasa CBD. The cost is Ksh. 100"

Kampala, Uganda
10 posts
10. Re: Buses from Mombasa CBD to Miritini SGR Station

I may be in Mombasa CBD this weekend, if so I'll stop by the old railway station and check. I'm curious to know too.

Reply to: Buses from Mombasa CBD to Miritini SGR Station
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Mombasa
Recent Conversations