We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tours in Mombasa

Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
tours in Mombasa

will be on an Oceania ship Nov 25th and looking for a tour that will cover highlights since we are only there for 8 hours. Suggestions, please??

23 replies to this topic
Vilnius, Lithuania
Level Contributor
122 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: tours in Mombasa

Shimba hills, Haller park, Akamba handcraft factory, Fort Jesus, Mamba village etc.

Lia.

Level Contributor
1,520 posts
2. Re: tours in Mombasa

Haller Park is a pretty sad zoo and not worth the trip up the coast in my opinion. And Shimba Hills reserve shouldn't be attempted in 8 hours due to the possible ferry delays. I recommend the other attractions mentioned, primarily Fort Jesus.

Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
3. Re: tours in Mombasa

Thank you for your advice. Have been looking at Fort Jesus. We're doing a safari out of CapeTown and have been on one to Masai Mari and Tsavo. We definitely don't want to drive a long way just to see an okay site.

Thanks again,

Rancho Palos...
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
4. Re: tours in Mombasa

We are also traveling on Oceania same trip and looking to book many excursions on our own. I would love to hear any suggestions for all ports and I will give you mine. I'm just starting to explore options. Perhaps we wish to team up and find semi-private tours. I was looking to see if there was a bush pilot that I could hire for a day safari, but seems pretty difficult in the amount of time we have in port. As I recall from a trip to Kenya in 1979, Mombasa beach is beautiful, but extremely hot; perhaps a tour of the Fort Jesus Museum is our best bet. If you find something else that makes better sense I'd love to hear.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
5,663 posts
46 reviews
5. Re: tours in Mombasa

Since you only have 8 hours, not advisable to venture too far out from arrival berth.

Consider visiting the old town, Fort Jesus & Spice Market.

Rancho Palos...
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
6. Re: tours in Mombasa

This sounds like good advice. Thank you. I believe it is possible to hire a local taxi and do this tour on our own. Would you agree?

Edited: 16 July 2017, 01:34
Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
5,663 posts
46 reviews
7. Re: tours in Mombasa

Where is the cruiser docking ?

Any idea ?

Mombasa CBD is quite small, you can quite easily get around in a Tuk Tuk.

Rancho Palos...
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
8. Re: tours in Mombasa

Thank you.

Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
9. Re: tours in Mombasa

Thank you. I believe that's what we're deciding to do.

London, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
7 reviews
10. Re: tours in Mombasa

Hi,

Do you mind me asking what your budget for a tour would be? There are a few food tours that would pick you up and drop you and also show you around local sites while tasting local food at the same time.

Since 8 hours is a short time it may be wise combining two things in such a way.

Reply to: tours in Mombasa
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Mombasa
Recent Conversations