We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Strange abandoned fun fair south of Nairobi NP

Llandudno, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
Strange abandoned fun fair south of Nairobi NP

During an epic 3700km drive around Kenya last two weeks, we took a seldom used rd south of Nairobi NP. From Kajiado,we took a link road East to the 104 at Isinya. The rod skirts around the bottom of the Athi Plains, on a poor crater infested old road.

On one particular straight section we came acoss an abandoned funfair, complete with large Ferris wheel and and chair ride. There was even an old swing boat blowing in the wind. The place was eerie to say the least and must have been the since the late sixties or seventies...

Has anyone else seen this place or know anything more about it. To see such a thing in Kenya is bazaar enough, but I can't seem to find anyone else who knows about it's history. It would be fascinating to find out more...

Gavskis

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Strange abandoned fun fair south of Nairobi NP

Interesting, but do you mean the road from Kiserian to Isinya, rather than from Kajiado? I'm sure the people at Whistling Thorns, southeast of Kiserian (www.whistlingthorns.com) will know the story of the funfair.

Richard

Llandudno, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Strange abandoned fun fair south of Nairobi NP

Hi Yankari, wonderful to hear a response from you, my good pal Agy, said you were the man in the know... thanks for your note.

Yes you are quite right I did mean the road from Kiserian. And thanks for the link to whistling thorns, I'd love to get to the bottom of it. I'll blog some pictures of the fair, when our team gets our dairy's together.

(By way of further interest our mission was to deliver a mobile eye hospital to Uganda via Kenya, which is reported here in the Uganda Daily monitor)

monitor.co.ug/News/…index.html

It would be great to stay in touch

Gavski

Staffordshire
Level Contributor
798 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Strange abandoned fun fair south of Nairobi NP

Have sent you a PM

Llandudno, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Strange abandoned fun fair south of Nairobi NP

Thanks Lualeni, that's very interesting, I'll have a look into that

regards

Gavski

Mombasa
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Tsavo National Park East
Level Contributor
1,299 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Strange abandoned fun fair south of Nairobi NP

was it the old luna park, there was a Turkish who had a Luna Park and was traveling round Kenya with it, I have not seen it for ages. Last I saw it at the

Uhuru Park in Nairobi, but it was removed from there??.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
1,079 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Strange abandoned fun fair south of Nairobi NP

HI Gav,

how is it, trip all well I hope, be interested to see the pics of this funfair, pls send me a few, I think they would make good B and W pics.

Let me know when you get back.

agy

nairobi
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Strange abandoned fun fair south of Nairobi NP

hi gavskis, my name is aaron and i live in nairobi. I came across your question about a strange abandoned funfair south of nairobi and now am curious about it too. Culd you kindly share with me the story behind it. Thanks

8. Re: Strange abandoned fun fair south of Nairobi NP

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 April 2013, 10:35