We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yellow Fever and crossing into Tanzania

manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,227 posts
95 reviews
Yellow Fever and crossing into Tanzania

I could do with some in-country advice please.

I had Yellow Fever jabs back in 2003. The guidance changed last year so that you only need a single shot to get covered for a lifetime, but this doesn't become mandatory until 2016 (according to the travel clinic I visited today). I will shortly be travelling to Kenya and crossing the land border into Tanzania. Are border control aware of the change of guidelines or am I likely to get problems when I do cross into Tanzania? I don't really want to have a live vaccine if I don't need it but I also don't want to get refused entry into Tanzania either. It was actually the Doctor at the clinic today who recommended seeking local advice.

All help gratefully received. I travel on 12th November and have provisionally booked an appointment for the vaccination on 6th just in case.

Many thanks.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
39,952 posts
448 reviews
1. Re: Yellow Fever and crossing into Tanzania

I have crossed at Namanga several times. Sometimes I am asked and sometimes not. I had the Certificate so was OK. Is it worth the risk? Tanzanians are a friendly lot but you might just hit the wrong one on a bad day.

If you accepted the first one without a problem the odds are you will the booster too.

Have a good trip.

Coquitlam, Canada
Level Contributor
67 posts
2. Re: Yellow Fever and crossing into Tanzania

If your records are not up to Tanzania standards, they may require you to get a shot at the border. Rather have my home physician administer than some clinic at an African border.

Brussels, Belgium
2 posts
3. Re: Yellow Fever and crossing into Tanzania

I'm too late to get a Yellow fever shot in my home country. I cannot get an appointment before I leave to Tanzania. I will land in Dar Es Salaam Int. Airport.

I would like to know if there is anyone having TRUE and CORRECT experience with this same situation. And if he/she was able to get the vaccination IN the airport in order to get the necessary document for Yellow fever at entry of Tanzanian territory. Also how much does it cost ?

Thank you for honest reply asap.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
4. Re: Yellow Fever and crossing into Tanzania

Hi Val

You have to get the jab and the yellow fever card to cross into Tanzania and likewise Kenya. The most reasonable place to get the Jab is at Wilson Airport Port Clinic.

kind regards

Kate

Brussels, Belgium
2 posts
5. Re: Yellow Fever and crossing into Tanzania

seems to be VERY hard as I travel to TANZANIA and NOT TO KENYA....

why people post messages like this ?

READ before you post please.

THANK YOU

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
39,952 posts
448 reviews
6. Re: Yellow Fever and crossing into Tanzania

@post#3 jonsty. It will depend on your flight. If on say KLM AMS-JRO-DAR you will most likely not even be asked for the Certificate as you have not been in an endemic country. Depending on where your flight came from will depend on the actual need for Y/F.

There is no actual Yellow Fever in TZ. the need for innoculation is to prevent you bringing it in with you.

You can get the innoculation in DAR if TZ Immigration decree it is necessary (indeed you will not be given the option) Cost is around US$50.

@katherine O.

Val travelled in November last year. Your post comes too late.

manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,227 posts
95 reviews
7. Re: Yellow Fever and crossing into Tanzania

And for the sake of completion. I got an exemption certificate from my travel clinic and got through the border no problem.

Inverness-shire
Level Contributor
169 posts
14 reviews
8. Re: Yellow Fever and crossing into Tanzania

You've probably already left by now, but in case you haven't, in 2014 we travelled from kenya to Tanzania. I had the vaccination for yellow fever, my husband had a letter of explanation from his doctor that he could not have the vaccination. Neither of us were asked for the proof of vaccination at the Tanzanian border. Hopefully you will be just fine too!

Salford, United...
Level Contributor
3,334 posts
33 reviews
9. Re: Yellow Fever and crossing into Tanzania

Things have tightened up this year though and they are much more vigilant at the borders.

nyc
Level Contributor
15,087 posts
10. Re: Yellow Fever and crossing into Tanzania

If you require the YF jab once entering TNZ from KEN, believe the cost i USD$50/pp