We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The beach at Nyali

England
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
99 reviews
The beach at Nyali

Hi

Deciding between Turtle Bay and Voyager.

Have been to Turtle Bay before and loved it but thought the transfer times might be too long for younger kids.

What's the beach at Nyali like? I have twins at 5 and my eldest girl is 9, she's really into snorkelling, she did her first open water dive earlier this year and loved it. Are there any dive schools out here that do the bubble maker programme for kids?

I remember the snorkelling at Watamu being pretty good - is it similar in Nyali or is it easy enough to just hop on a boat and do a snorkelling trip? My husband and I are also divers - are there any good dive sites nearby?

We also stayed on Chale Island which had fantastic big rock pools when the sea went out. My young ones would have loved these as there were always a myriad of fish and huge crabs left behind. Is there anything like this at Nyali beach?

I also remember troops (??) of monkeys at Turtle Bay, queuing up under the showers to have a drink, or sitting on your balcony in the early evening - again a great source of entertainment. Do you see wild monkeys at Voyager?

I've heard that there's a elephant camp and somewhere that you can feed giraffes? Are these close enough to just get a taxi to?

I remember visiting a big croc farm somewhere between Turtle Bay and Chale Island - is that still there?

Sorry for all the questions - it's so hard planning things around the kids!

Thanks

Sharon

South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,345 posts
27 reviews
1. Re: The beach at Nyali

Good idea to plan things for the kids as happy kids means happy parents!

Crocs - there is the Mamba Village in Nyali which is a short taxi drive from Voyager. Do you remember a huge model croc outside? if so, this is the place.

Elephant camp - Mwulunganje, which is down towards Shimba Hills. Stayed there on two occasions - first time was just after it opened and it was lovely (got up close to the elephants) but the second time it was awful (see my review).

Giraffe feeding - a visit to Haller Park, just down the road from Voyager in the afternoon and you get to do this. Haller Park is an old reclaimed quarry which is now a tropical forest. You get a guide and he walks you around explaining the flora and fauna. Famour occupants are Owen and Mzee the Tsunami hippo and giant tortoise.

Yes the monkeys visit Voyager and will steal anything they can. Look but don't touch though!

Diving - good PADI diving school based at Voyager. Not sure if they do the bubble programme but certainly they do junior open water as one of my kids did it. Snorkelling and glass bottom boat trips are available. Lots of water sports (not diving) is included in the all inc at Voyager.

Beach - a bit rocky at low tide so you can have fun with the rock pools. A walk around the rocks to the right brings you to a nice quieter stretch of beach.

2. Re: The beach at Nyali

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2009, 21:23