We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Newbie to Kenya - A few questions

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
116 reviews
Save Topic
Newbie to Kenya - A few questions

Hi all,

We've decided to try somewhere different on holiday & have booked the Whitesands for 2 weeks in October 09. We've booked All Inclusive as that was the only option from First Choice, however, we would like to try different restaurants etc for lunch & dinner.

Don't mind if they're cheap & cheerful for lunch & then the odd splurge for dinner. Any type of restaurant would be great, as we're not fussy eaters! Please can anyone recommend any places?

I've found Yuls & the Aquamarine so far.

Also, can anyone tell me how far the walking distance is to the Nova Centre & what sort of shops are there?

We're also hoping to visit a school when out there, so can anyone tell me the best things to buy when we're out there such as food / cleaning stuff etc that we can take?

Thanks for any help:)

Ang

Birmingham.U.K.
Level Contributor
148 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Newbie to Kenya - A few questions

Hi Gobofraggle,

Is'nt it a bit wastefull to book all-inclusive and then spend extra money on eating out.Not that we blame you for wanting to try the local places.The Moorings is close,and there's also the Tamarind.But there are many very good less glamorous places to explore.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
3,598 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Newbie to Kenya - A few questions

As they have already mentioned AI was their only choice, I for one applaud them for wanting to leave the complex and get out of the hotel, Ok I see your point but at the end of the day its their money and not ours

Hythe, United...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,427 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Newbie to Kenya - A few questions

Once you have eaten at whitesands you wont feel the need to eat anywhere else as the food is very good. Afternoon tea on the beach front with freshly made pancakes and homemade cakes, If you do feel the need to eat out then the Tamarind is a good option, not the Dhow trip but the restaurant itself. There is also a very good Indian restaurant next door at Travelers.

Whitesands has a selection of restaurants and for a small supplement you can eat at the beach front in the evening where the bananas coated in coconut and deep fried served with ice-cream are a must.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
3,598 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Newbie to Kenya - A few questions

Bananas Bruce ! bad luck for us fishermen, I never eat them on the day when I,m fishing, Bad luck they are, have you heard the frogs on the wild earth cam !

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
1,215 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Newbie to Kenya - A few questions

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies:) We won't be having lunch & dinner out every day, just wanted to know that there are other good places to eat when we feel like trying something new.

Might have to give the Tamarind a try & will definitely be searching for the deep fried bananas, they sound delicious!

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
16,157 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Newbie to Kenya - A few questions

Hi,

Il Covo is just along the beach, its a decent Italian & Sushi restaurant, you can't miss its got a sort of balcony that sticks out over the beach.

Aquamarine is excellent, fabulous setting on Mtwapa Creek, it also does Dhow trips.

The Moorings is a floating restauarant a little farther up Mtwapa Creek, again very good and great setting.(also has a dhow)

If you want to push the boat out metaphorically or literally, The Tamarind is also in a great setting in Nyali, excellent food especially seafood, pricey but worth it at least once, and the Tamarind Dhow is probably the most famous Dhow / meal trip

Mentioned in this post
Mtwapa
Mtwapa
Coast Province, Kenya
Nyali Beach
Nyali Beach
277 Reviews
Mombasa, Kenya
7. Re: Newbie to Kenya - A few questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2009, 21:20