We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Time of year

England
Level Contributor
1,016 posts
99 reviews
Save Topic
Time of year

Hi

I was planning to go to Kenya in Feb with the family but it's coming in a bit above budget at the moment.

I definitely want to stay at either Turtle Bay or Voyager.

The thing is I'm 40 in August so if I waited until then, even though it's more expensive - I could swing the trip as my birthday present but I don't know what the weather will be like? The best time to travel seems to be our winter

I believe this is migration time too so would be good to go up to the Masai Mara? But is it likely to be a wash out with rain? Would i be best getting it as a present but postponing until Feb 2010 (seems like far too far away!)

Anyone know of any sites with good deals as if i can come in on budget, I'd rather go sooner than later

Thanks

Sharon

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
3,598 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Time of year

I bet it does not come cheap, it looks stunning in these short videos

I shall be doing a bit of research on this place, I like the look of it.

http://www.maasai.com/Video.asp

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
3,598 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Time of year

Here are their rates, taken from their own site

flickr.com/photos/smudger888/2891292837/

England
Level Contributor
1,016 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Time of year

Looks great

I've just had a look and the nightly rate for 2 people is

1,120 US dollars - afraid it's a bit out of my budget this time.

Put it on my list of places to go when the kids have grown up!

But thanks for the recommendation - it looks wonderful

Sharon

Manchester
Level Contributor
461 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Time of year

VirginiaAndMike

FH was fantastic in our opinion and by far the best place we visited for all round experience.

The Masai Mara is amazing and you are just surounded by animals everywhere you go and as far as you can see. This is great for the awesone experience and to collect ticks in just about all of the boxes for the animals to see in Kenya.

Tsavo on the other hand is a personal experience of seeking individual animals hidden in the dense scrub and bush and restricted by what you can see from the official roads (dirt tracks). Also the colours of the earth are fantastic there with there being so much red in the soil. The terrain is very volcanic, but far from being a moonscape it is fascinating in its variety.

FH also delivers the amazing luxury experience it advertises. The location is amazing and you could easily spend all day looking over the pool and all night listening to the invaders to the camp passing by your tent without going on any game drives and still have a fantastic time.

The food is all it's cracked up to be as is the personal service and all this for an amazing price compared to other luxury camps.

Go mid May and we shall see you there for sure. We do not know fully what to expect in May (one of the rainy seasons) but we decided it was so good whilst dry we wanted to see the contrast when green.

For more info on our experience see the links on the following thread

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g294210-i9512-k2…

Manchester
Level Contributor
461 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Time of year

VirginiaAndMike

Sorry - the best starting point for that thread is tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g294210-i9512-k2… which points you to the FH/TSavo stuff

Birmingham.U.K.
Level Contributor
148 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Time of year

Steve,

Thanks for your reply.May well give it a try but we always go in Nov/Dec.

Have you tried a safari in Samburu/Buffalo Springs,that's our favourite park.Going for our fifth visit in Dec.Last one in 2001 when we stayed for 7 nights.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
1 review
Save Reply
17. Re: Time of year

SpamboEngland if you want almost unbroken sunshine, no rain and you like the heat February is definately the time to go.

What makes it even better is that back in England it will be cold and dull.

Below are the statistics for Mombasa for February 2008.

Please notice the maximum temperatures in the red box and the ammount of rain, err 0.0mm per day!

…villagephotos.com/p/…MOMBASA-FEB2008.JPG

18. Re: Time of year

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2009, 11:20