We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Time of year

England
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
Time of year

Hi

I was planning to go to Kenya in Feb with the family but it's coming in a bit above budget at the moment.

I definitely want to stay at either Turtle Bay or Voyager.

The thing is I'm 40 in August so if I waited until then, even though it's more expensive - I could swing the trip as my birthday present but I don't know what the weather will be like? The best time to travel seems to be our winter

I believe this is migration time too so would be good to go up to the Masai Mara? But is it likely to be a wash out with rain? Would i be best getting it as a present but postponing until Feb 2010 (seems like far too far away!)

Anyone know of any sites with good deals as if i can come in on budget, I'd rather go sooner than later

Thanks

Sharon

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,959 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Time of year

Hi,

August is a good time to go, it is in the middle between the long rains should have finished several weeks before and the short rains should be several weeks in the future. It is also in the middle of the migration season

South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,222 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Time of year

February is a great time to go if you like it dry hot and sunny and Voyager is a brilliant hotel too - only 30 mins or so from Mombasa and loads of things around it to do.

Have a look at Somak - they used to be competative.

nyc
Level Contributor
15,011 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Time of year

Prices in August will also be high as it's Migration time in the Mara. July/August are also prime vacation months when many children are out of school; families often travel at this time.

Neither Feb or Aug should bring rain, but no one can guarantee the weather; there's recently been rain in the Mara and this is supposedly the "dry" season.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
3,556 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Time of year

10 years ago August was fantastic, over the last 3 years August has been changing weather wise, we had a really bad week in August last year ! the weather patterns are so hard to predict in kenya now, I,m refering to the coastal area, when we went on safari we never saw a drop of rain ! got back to the coast and it was still overcast but don't let that fool you, you can still get burnt by the sun

Manchester
Level Contributor
459 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Time of year

The weather in August this year was fantastic, except on the coast which was wet and Nairobi which was cold.

The Mara and Tsavo were like the most perfect English Summer. Spot On.

It was my birthday when we went and all Leos should be in Lion territory on their birthday :)

The Mara is very very expensive at the time of the migration but is an awesome sight. But if you want high quality and luxury as well as a great safari experience instead of the volume of animals, try Finch Hattons in TSavo which is incredible value for an exclusive luxury camp.

Birmingham.U.K.
Level Contributor
148 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Time of year

Hi Steve,

We have fancied going to Finch Hattons but when we have enquired with agents at the coast we have been advised that the camp is excellent but the game viewing is dissappointing.What's your opinion.

Iver Heath, United...
Level Contributor
882 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Time of year

believe it or not I have found Thomas Cook to be the cheepest this year (by hundreds £) dont be put of by their origional search price (it gets heavily discounted on the next click) eg, I usualy book Kenya (for the past 10 or so years) with Cosmos who i always find cheapest on the AI package, but this year for some reason, they were selling the axact same holiday Sun N Sands 24th November same flight (monarch)for £250 more per person and Cosmos own Monarch. Work that one out ?

England
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Time of year

Thanks for all your kind responses.

I'd rather go in February as this is when we normally take our main holiday and don't know if i could last till August, but then i will still have somwhere to find for my 40th birthday - and i refuse to do Spain.

We went this August and it would have been cheaper to go to Kenya with the amount we actually spent!

Why are the exotic longhauls always so much better value?

First Choice and Thomson are coming out cheapest at the moment.

Strange that on First Choice Turtle Bay Beach Club is more expensive than Voyager and Visa Versa for Thomson!

Mombasa
Level Contributor
88 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Time of year

Hi Sharon ,

You do not turn 40 every year.

If you are planning on visit in February and can afford. I would recommend a 2 night stay Campi Ya Kanzi in the Chyulu Hills. Great place. Day and night game dives with activities.

They can also pick you up from Mombasa by their own air plane.

Thanks.

Tango.

Birmingham.U.K.
Level Contributor
148 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Time of year

Hi Tango,

Website for Campi ya Kanzi looks very impressive.

Can you give an idea of approx.cost

Thanks