We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 days enough in Kenya or should I extend?

3 posts
Save Topic
5 days enough in Kenya or should I extend?

Hi guys,

My dad booked me a trip with a 5 day layover in Kenya or Tanzania. It will cost $250 to extend it if I wish. I really want to do a safari in either of the two countries and see as much wildlife as possible. I will be going in early April (rainy season unfortunately).

Do you think 5 days is enough to cover Kenya or Tanzania, or would you pay $250 to extend? Thank you

Mentioned in this post
Kenya
Kenya
Africa
6 replies to this topic
Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
6 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 days enough in Kenya or should I extend?

We spent 5 days in Kenya last February: 2 days at the Solio Lodge, 2 days at Giraffe Manor, and 1 day in Nairobi. Our visit at Solio was packed with game drives. Twice a day, our guide took us to the savannah, where we saw so much wildlife and so close! Black and white rhinos, giraffes, lions, cape buffalos, baboons, antelopes, waterbucks, all kinds of birds, even elephants - although elephants were not supposed to be at the Solio reserve. I wish we had more time in Kenya, but even 5 days created incredible and lasting memories. Have fun!

Mentioned in this post
Kenya
Kenya
Africa
Solio Lodge
Solio Lodge
140 Reviews
Laikipia County, Kenya
Giraffe Manor
Giraffe Manor
1,004 Reviews
Nairobi, Kenya
Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
622 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 days enough in Kenya or should I extend?

Personally, I would extend but I have to admit to a strong bias for Kenya. I have been going to Kenya for many years now totalling much more than 5 days and I still haven't managed to go everywhere that I want

Mentioned in this post
Kenya
Kenya
Africa
Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
5,396 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 days enough in Kenya or should I extend?

Don't mean to spoil the fun, either it's a 'brave' or a 'foolish' thing to do a safari during wet season.

Anything can happen during the rains, roads get damaged making the Park inaccessible or boggy tracks inside the Park making it no-go.

Kenya - Best Time to Visit

https:/…best-time

<<Tourists visiting the world-famous Maasai Mara Game Reserve were also stranded as the region was a no-go zone.>> Media Article Dated Apr/18

https://www.the-star.co.ke/news/2018/04/16/t…

Don't waste your Dad's hard earned money.

Re-think.

Mentioned in this post
Kenya
Kenya
Africa
Masai Mara National Reserve
Masai Mara National...
Rift Valley Province, Kenya
Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
3,326 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 days enough in Kenya or should I extend?

5 days is not enough for both Kenya and Tanzania. You would do one or the other.

I've been on safari during the so called rainy season, and had great viewing experiences. Also the weather patterns have changed, and nobody would know if April will be wet or not.

I'd spend 4 days in the Mara, which is plenty of time for several extended game drives.

Mentioned in this post
Kenya
Kenya
Africa
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 days enough in Kenya or should I extend?

Unfortunately it has already been booked. The layover does not cost extra, as it is just that - a layover before I head to another country. I have looked into the best times to travel and am aware that the rainy season can be tricky but it is the option I have been given and will do the best I can with those dates.

Salford, United...
Level Contributor
3,180 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 days enough in Kenya or should I extend?

There can be some fantastic backdrops during the rainy season. The rains have been exceptional this year, but next year may not be. Ive been to both the Mara and Ol Pejeta in the rains and got there and back and around the parks just fine and had great wildlife viewing.

If you're worried about flooding and being stranded, you could go for a fly-in option, or choose a different park..

Reply to: 5 days enough in Kenya or should I extend?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted