We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sleeper Train Cairo - Aswan - Luxor - Cairo

Island of Gozo...
Level Contributor
25 posts
16 reviews
Sleeper Train Cairo - Aswan - Luxor - Cairo

I wish to have some info about the food offered on board the train, as I am afraid the portion wil not be enough for the night.. I am Maltese, we eat a lot of food for dinner :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,326 posts
28 reviews
1. Re: Sleeper Train Cairo - Aswan - Luxor - Cairo

If you mean the sleeper train, dinner was an Egyptian-themed 'airline' meal but tasted (just) slightly better. The portion (compared to an airline) was generous but, if you want a lot to eat, not overly so. When I took the sleeper from Cairo to Luxor a couple of years ago, they also served a breakfast in the morning.

Edited: 13 November 2012, 10:16
Island of Gozo...
Level Contributor
25 posts
16 reviews
2. Re: Sleeper Train Cairo - Aswan - Luxor - Cairo

Thanks for your reply. in the meantime I found some pictures of the food tray.. doesn't look bad but I guess we better eat something before we get on board just to be sure! :)

Australia
Level Contributor
10,157 posts
81 reviews
3. Re: Sleeper Train Cairo - Aswan - Luxor - Cairo

The food offered was dire last November, inedible and cold. I had the chicken with rice, I left the what looked like pudding to last and it turned out to be potatoes done in a white sauce, horrible.

The breakfast - fruit cake, croissant, roll,which was stale except for the cake which was delicious, only time Ive ever eaten cake for breakfast. There was a piece of cheese, jam, a piece of fruit, plain yoghurt and a cup of tea or coffee. Small portions also, so best to take your own.

Burwood East...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4. Re: Sleeper Train Cairo - Aswan - Luxor - Cairo

I've just completed the Cairo-Aswan luxor-Cairo sleeper train trip. Worst experience got food poisoning on the first leg and the dinner and breakfast on the way back were 100 times worse than airline food....next time ill defantly be flying!!

Australia
Level Contributor
10,157 posts
81 reviews
5. Re: Sleeper Train Cairo - Aswan - Luxor - Cairo

Poor Michael, at least I wasn't sick:) Milu, no need to avoid the sleeper just bring your own food, or eat before you get on:) It's still a cheaper option than flying when you add on the cost of a hotel room.

6. Re: Sleeper Train Cairo - Aswan - Luxor - Cairo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 11:19