We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with Itinerary

Which Cairo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Florida
Level Contributor
161 posts
Save Topic
Help with Itinerary

Is it better tostart in Cairo?

I am trying to avoid another overnight at the end in Cairo to catch our early flight at 9:45am...how does this look?

Arrive Cairo then fly to Aswan

then day 2 Abu Simbel, overnight Aswan

Day 3 board nile cruise for 3 nights to Luxor

Then disembark and fly to Sharm El Sheik for 5 nights

THen fly to Cairo early from SES and spend 2 nights in CAiro (then we can leave early the last day from CAiro.

Thanks

Cairo, Egypt
Destination Expert
for Egypt, Cairo, Luxor, Aswan, Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
2,948 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with Itinerary

Actually I would say that it is better to start in Cairo, to fly from the states to Egypt then to take another flight to Aswan is extremely tiring and you can loose lots of time for connections , also this way you spend far so much time in aswan for nothing in real. I would go with the next itinerary if I was you.

Day 01: arrival, and transfer to your hotel in Cairo for overnight

Day 02: tour of Cairo, may be the Museum of Cairo and Pyramids of Giza and overnight in Cairo

Day 03: fly from Cairo to Abu Simbel (in most cases you will not change flights, you will remain in the same plane and they will stop over in Aswan to drop off some people and pick others) fly after visiting the temple to Aswan and board your cruise, go with your cruise itinerary this day you can visit in the way from airport to the cruise the High Dam and the Temple of Philae then to your cruise for checkin and then you continue with whatever remain from the cruise program

Day 04: cruise program, most probable visit Kom Ombo and Edfu temples and sail to Luxor

Day 05: Visit east and west banks of Luxor and overnight on cruise

Day 07: fly from Luxor to Sharm (can be direct or via Cairo)

from Day 07 to Day 11 you will have your 05 nights in Sharm

Day 12: you will fly back to Cairo and you can visit Memphis, Sakkara and Dahshur areas

Day 13: you can have a visit to Coptic Christian Cairo area for the ancient churches , the Citadel of Cairo and the Mosque of Mohamed Ali, The Mosque of Refaei and Sultan Hassan. OR ELSE another alternative is to do a full day tour to Alexandria which also in my point of view worth the effort

Day 14: final departure

so what do you think of such itinerary

wish you a nice trip

Florida
Level Contributor
161 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with Itinerary

Thank you! Wonderful options. When we flycairo-Abu Simbel, what do we do with our bags while visiting ??

Cairo, Egypt
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,948 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with Itinerary

you will just receive the luggage upon your arrival at Aswan, do not worry, just you must book your egyptair flight as Cairo/Abusimble/Aswan ticket you check it in at Cairo and get it upon your arrival to Aswan

best way is to use www.egyptair.com and choose egypt as your home country you will get much better rates

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
62 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with Itinerary

Wow thanks. But what about in Abu Simbel? Where do we put luggage while we view AS?S

Cairo, Egypt
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,948 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with Itinerary

the luggages you will NOT see them at Abu Simbel , they will be inside the plane and you will just get them in ASWAN

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
62 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with Itinerary

Thanks

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
8,921 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with Itinerary

Modern airline security, especially after the Pan Am bombing incident over Lockerbie, means that your luggage is usually taken off aircraft with you and back on again 'if' you come back, to stop you getting on with a device and leaving it there when you get off at an intermediate stop.

I would advise checking with YOUR airline that you can do this.

Edited: 17 March 2012, 08:42
Swansea, MA
Level Contributor
335 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with Itinerary

If it is the same plane, than it would stay on since you have another connection. I don't know if Egypt has the same "modern security". They have the most lax airport security I have ever seen.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
8,921 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help with Itinerary

A quick look this morning at Egyptair flights from Cairo to Abu Simbel showed that the 1st 3 in the morning all stop at Aswan

The 1st two might be an Airbus321 or B737, and then change to an Embraer170 or Airbus321 at Aswan to go to AS

The 3rd plane actually starts at Cairo, with a 'technical' stop at Aswan, i.e. it refuels and any passengers from the 2 earlier flights get onto it and continue to AS.

Then when I looked at the Egyptair timetable again tonight it was different!

So, as I said, check with the airline, and confirm what flights you will be on and whether or not the luggage will stay on the plane. If it has an Aswan luggage sticker, it is likely to get taken off at Aswan, even though you are going to AS and back.

Cairo, Egypt
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,948 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help with Itinerary

It happened with me several times before in many of my groups, used to fly as I stated in the itinerary I suggested, even when we have to change planes in Aswan, as out ticket state that we fly Cairo /. Abu Simbel/ Aswan then our luggage get with us all the time , I even many times when I am setting in the plane after boarding I see the luggage been carried to the plane in Aswan, and we get them only upon final arrival in Aswan, so as I stated before , your luggage will go as per your ticket, no matter if you change plane or not, it is Egypt Air responsibility to do so , as you will not be able to get them in Aswan in case of a transit, so do not worry , just the checkin at Cairo airport will be enough