We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just Returned!

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
303 posts
147 reviews
Save Topic
Just Returned!

A big thank you to all of your, especially CairoWendy for your help with my recent trip. I had a fantastic 6 days away in Cairo staying with my friend who moved to Maadi last August.

It was a real eye-opener and so fascinating. The traffic is truly manic isn't it! The taxis held together with tape and the bartering incredible but it was all brilliant.

It was great getting away from the tourist trail doing it the 'real' way as my friend is out there but we did do the pyramids by camel (my friend!) and horse (me!). We paid about £20 (British £)each for the ride which took well over an hour and our guide was really great and fun so even if we did pay over the odds I don't mind as we saw so much and we so enjoyed it all.

The Egyptian Museum was fascinating and Khan El Khalili brilliant too. I came back with lots of scarves and alabaster. I bought my boyfriend a lovely alabaster chess set from Road 9 in Maadi for just £10 (British Pounds). I was tempted by some gorgeous wall hangings but had to resist as room in my suitcase was getting tight.

We had a lovely meal at The Fish Market on the Nile which was so reasonable and delicious. Also we took a felucca trip to see the sunset for an hour just three of us for only 4 British Pounds - a bargain.

So many thanks for all the hints and tips I picked up from this forum, I had a wonderful trip.

Egypt Tailor Made Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Multi-day Tours, Private Tours, Photography Tours, Day Trips
Emo Tours Egypt
Multi-day Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, City Tours, Day Trips
Let's Explore Egypt
Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Deluxe Tours Egypt
Multi-day Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
4,146 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just Returned!

That is great to hear that you really enjoyed your visit and were able to see it from a differnt angle that the average tourist. Maadi is quite a conveneint place to be for Expats and I know that the shopping there is really good.

Glad to have been able to help you with hints and info. before you travelled. I guess you felt that 6 days was not really enough.

Sounds like you had some really authentic taxi rides, I could write a book about taxis, their drivers, techniques and stnange condition of the cars, but for now will keep all of that stored in my head.....

2. Re: Just Returned!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2009, 06:22