We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help

London, United...
13 posts
help

ok i have been following some posts on here about booking guides for a daytrip to cairo. i am under the impression that certain guides are only popular cos of the fact that they are on the list of recommended ones and charge low prices??? is this true?? i tend to try to see a bigger picture sometimes compared to others so forgive me if i sound silly. i want a knowledgable guide who will give me exactly what i want and be upfront about extra charges. it seems that when i contact them they are a little vague sometimes. The company ones are upfront and tell me exactly the price and no extra whereas the ones that are just guides say that is just their fee and any extra is your entrance fees and what you eat and drink. I have also noticed a few posts and received a few private messages saying that people have been fleeced with this. One person said that the guide took them to a restaurant and it cost them a fortune £50 for 2 adults, another said that they were overcharged for entrance fees. Is this the norm with guides? Would you really know anyway if it happened to you?

sorry if i sound stupid but i would just like some advice.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,863 posts
1 review
1. Re: help

Hi I recommend Emad. His charges included his services as an excellent and knowledgable guide, the driver, minibus and fuel. He told us that all entrance fees and lunch were extra. We didnot want to go to any perfume shops etc and he didnot take us. He charged us the correct entrance fees - the fees are clearly marked on the tickets anyway and he took us to a buffet restaurant that was all you can eat and very good value at £5 a head. He made it clear to us that the price didnot include drinks at the restaurant and we would be charged extra for these. Emad also got my daughter in to the sites for half price as well.

He gave us a fab time.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
4,146 posts
40 reviews
2. Re: help

Hello,

Guess this can be confusing for a first time visitor. I do not use guides myself but have had to get involved in this since being a destination "Expert".

I am in favour of the private guides, as when you book though a company - yes the prices are fixed, but you do not know anything about the quality or performance of the guide.

The private guides recommended here have been used often by members and have had good feeback. If they do not do a good job, that would be well known on the forum, and no new customers !

There are two ways of doing the pricing, you can have an inclusive price that overs guide, driver, car, lunch and entrance fees

or

Guide, driver and car only, and you pay the entrance fees and the cost of lunch.

The choice is yours, but I prefer the 2nd option as is allows you to be more flexible, choose where and what you eat, decide to add or delete a site visit, according to your energy and time.

For sure the guides who give reasonable rates will have more customers, but as long as the visitors are happy with their visit, there is nothing wrong with being fair with the price.

In Egypt the guides have to be licenced and the study for several years at the Universities to get this.

Hope that helps you to have a better understanding of this subject. In the past few months Rasha and Emad have had to most frequent good reviews, I am in contact with them personally, and trust them fully.

Regards

Wendy

merseyside
Level Contributor
7,981 posts
95 reviews
3. Re: help

I think that some of the confusion on here is to do with what we class as a company. I recommend a company who also deal with individual guides in Cairo and Luxor so are in effect similar to what is classed on here as a 'private guide' as they have their own private guides with transport. They too don't want negative feedback appearing on here or any suchlike forum, so don't dismiss them just because they are labelled a company. I find them for me to be better value than a lone guide.

I have however also used a 'private guide' who is recommended on here too. The price worked out the same after adding on all the extra's.

I too have heard of people being taken for a ride with meals (£50 for lunch??what the heck!!!)and entrance fees. It happens but hopefully will be eroded with time. It hasn't happened to me and if it did YES i would know!

My advice would be to shop around and know for sure what the price entails. Research , research and research ........There really are a LOT of guides in Cairo to choose from!

4. Re: help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2009, 02:18