We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

inside pyramids

australia
Level Contributor
363 posts
98 reviews
inside pyramids

Have been advised that going inside second pyramid is as good as doing the great pyramid. Considering the difference in cost am wondering if anyone can help with their experiences. Thankyou

Bucharest, Romania
Level Contributor
1,533 posts
3 reviews
11. Re: inside pyramids

Didn't mention this explicitly but, sure, none of my statements were by any means intended to say that other pyramids are not worthwhile.

They all are, in my opinion each visit is a special experience.

I would rate the Red Pyramid in Dashur second, for the long and tall corridors and great chambers. The air inside is challenging though (ammonia and poor oxygen). I would not recommend it for anyone with less than good lungs.

Regards,

P_M

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
173 posts
1 review
12. Re: inside pyramids

I've been in the large pyramid & one of the smaller ones. They weren't as different inside as I thought they'd be. Since they differ a little on the inside, I'd recommend going in both if cost isn't an issue. But, if you only choose to go into one, I'd go in the large one if you can. Seeing the large sarcophagus still in the King's chamber is amazing.

Bucharest, Romania
Level Contributor
1,533 posts
3 reviews
13. Re: inside pyramids

The Great one is, so to speak, a "larger" experience.

All others are fascinating though, each in its own way:

- Djoser because of the visible, multiple iterations required for turnig a large mastaba into the first stepped pyramid

- Unas (Saqqara) for its text-covered walls

- Userkaf (Saqqara)for its gabled-ceiling room

- Hetepheres (Giza) for the Queen's burial treasure which is on display in the Museum

- Meidum because of the crumbled outer layers which expose the inward inclination of the internal accretion layers....

You get my point. Yes, it is a place to go back to - more than once.

P_M

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
365 posts
48 reviews
14. Re: inside pyramids

Ppl who wants to go into the pyramid are usually ppl who wants to see what's inside. If you are, you'll be disappointed bcos there's nothing inside. Not even hieroglyphics. Not even a single remain from the Pharaoh's treasures. So do not expect to see what you can see in the Valley of the Kings.

However, there are thing we can appreciate inside the pyramid. In the big pyramid (Khufu), when you to the 30' staircase that goes up, you are actually standing in what ppl called "The Gallery". It is actually an opening of walkway where workers of that time bring the sarcophagus into the pyramid.

You see...building the pyramid is unlike having our Lego set and getting stack up in a pyramid shape. The actualy pyramid is built with consideration to allow air to go in with airshaft, allowing light to go in at certain angle, allowing a walking path (the gallery), etc. The builders careful thought of an ingenius way to create a walk way and at the same time not to upset the the foundation structure's stability. (You cant cut holes in a pyramid!). The builders method was to shift the block of stone to allow a space between each other and that gives some space from bottom to the top when it is stack up and this is the outcome in what we refer to as "The Gallery". It is an ingenius way of building the pyramid and to have a walkway inside it. Amazing. If we are to stack up our Legos, you would have difficult to create a walk way or a gallery inside your Lego Pyramid, but the builders of that time 6000 years ago...did it and at its size.

I should think, everyone who visits the insde part of the Pyramid, have to understand why is there a gallery (a walkway), how did they do it? This is the difference between visiting the Pyramid and the tombs in the Valley of the King.

As such...it is always advisable to visit Khufu's pyramid (if you are interested to see the Gallery).

15. Re: inside pyramids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 September 2009, 23:20