We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

itinerary - Islamic Cairo

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
770 posts
Save Topic
itinerary - Islamic Cairo

Hello TA members!

Wondering if it is a good idea to combine Egyptian Museum and Islamic Cairo as a Day tour? What monuments in Islamic Cairo are "must dos" in the second half? I have read a lot of interesting posts (Thanks Cairo Wendy!) about the monuments but perhaps covering all of them in half day would be impossible. Please advice.

Thanks

Memphis Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Day Trips
Emo Tours Egypt
City Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours, Other Outdoor Activities
Egypt Tailor Made Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Multi-day Tours, Private Tours, Photography Tours, Day Trips
Ramasside Tours
Multi-day Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
4,146 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: itinerary - Islamic Cairo

All depends on how much time you have and how interested you are about this aspect of Cairo.

For myself I would say 2 days would cover the main sites including Khan Khalili area, but perhaps you do not have that much time available ?

If you only have half a day for it, I would suggest that you do those visits in the morning and then go to the Egyptian Museum as it closes at 6.45 pm (last entry tickers are sold at about 5.45pm). The advantage of going to the Museum in the latter part of the afternoon is that it is less crowded, in the mornings it can be crazy with all those tour buses !

In half a day you could manage to see :

- The Citadel, focusing on Mohamed Ali Mosque and the viewing point over the city.

- Sultan Hassan Mosque/Madrassa (school)

- Ibn Touloun Mosque

- Gayer Anderson Museum

The above are some of the most impressive and important monuments in Islamic Cairo, and the time spent at each can be brief, but it is important to see them.

If you have another day or half day you could follow the these walks which both start at Al Azhar Street and will enable you to see the old gates of the city and a variety of Islamic buildings, and the general feel of the old market areas (both touristic and non touristic) :

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g294201-c69990/Cairo:…

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g294201-c84731/Cairo:…

I had lived in Cairo for several years before seeing Ibn Touloun and Sultan Hassan Mosques, strangely enough it was one of my English relatives (with his Lonely Planet Guide) that wanted to see them and since then they have been my two favourite places to visit, if you love architecture and old places then these two really have to be on your schedule. There is not entrance fee at Ibn Touloun Mosque. Please also read these reviews :

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g294201-d3…

You can also combine you vist with some very good shopping :

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g294201-c67444/Cairo:…

Hope this helps you plan you day (or days !).

Regards

Wendy

2. Re: itinerary - Islamic Cairo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2009, 01:17