We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bargain for tours????

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
771 posts
Save Topic
Bargain for tours????

So ok just about every guide book and all forums insist one must bargain for everything in Egypt.

I have been writing over the last one week to some independent tour guides recommended by TA members and have receeived varied quotes. Does one negotiate with the seemingly 'expensive' but professional guides as well? How much approx. can the daily full day tours in Cairo cost?

Lost!!

Dilli Billi

Mentioned in this post
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
Cairo
Cairo
Cairo Governorate, Egypt
merseyside
Level Contributor
7,973 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bargain for tours????

Don't really think there is a clear answer to this. You could try and haggle with them and see what they say..after all there is no harm in it!

Full day tours ...prices do differ and depends on what you are seeing and if entrance fees etc are included. You can see Cairo on a really cheap budget or splash out a little. Cheapest quote I ever had was for a driver and transport for the day(over 8 hours) for 5 people ..cost £24. and my dearest quote was £90 per person which included everything.

Mentioned in this post
Cairo
Cairo
Cairo Governorate, Egypt
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
4,146 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bargain for tours????

I do not really think it would be right to try to bargain with something like fees. You should just be sure of what is included.

Some include the entrace fees and perhaps lunch and others exclude it and you pay this yourselves, so be sure of what you are getting.

It all depends on how many people are in your party, but I know that some guides charge about 120 USD for 2 persons, if there is airport pickup it costs more.

Hope you manage to find something that suits you.

Regards

Wendy

Adana, Turkey
Level Contributor
197 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Bargain for tours????

Wendy is right on this, check the inclusions and exclusions to make sure that you are comparing things equally. They can vary considerably.

If you have a price from one guide, but prefer another you could ask if they will meet their price.

One guide dropped her price when I told her I was going with someone else, but in the end I still did not use her.

I would think that the bargaining could be done more from a "value-added" perspective than a price lowering perspective. Like adding in another site or a museum visit to your itinerary. Or if you are a larger group, maybe knocking the "per person" price down a little as this seems to be a fairly commom practice with some tours.(a single person bears the cost and the price per person goes down based on the number of other people joining.)

Anyway, I didnt really bargain, but still got a price that I thought was very fair for the services provided.

merseyside
Level Contributor
7,973 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bargain for tours????

Not to dismiss what the others have said BUT one of the guides on the 'guides recommended thread' DID actually reduce their price when I was looking last year, by quite a bit actually. I would think that maybe it was a quiet week for them and they didn't have enough business???? This was their fee only. Entrance fees of course cannot be reduced!

Adana, Turkey
Level Contributor
197 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Bargain for tours????

good to know Kazl,

Did u have to bargain, or did they just offer a discounted price?

merseyside
Level Contributor
7,973 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bargain for tours????

Hi , no it was offered to me via email without my asking. I presumed the guide did not have any customers for that day,hence me putting about maybe they were quiet. I can name the guide if you want? Just thought that I wouldn't as I didn't want everyone to get the wrong idea and start bombarding them with emails!

I don't really think it can harm to ask POLITELY. After all the worse you could get is a 'no' ;-)

Plus we all have to remember that because we are from different parts of the world on here what is expensive to one person is cheap to another!

7. Re: Bargain for tours????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2009, 11:17