We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cairo sleeper train

2 posts
2 reviews
Cairo sleeper train

Hey guys currently having a great time in Cairo at present am heading down to Luxor on the sleeper train and the hotel is a little confused on where to pick up train... They’re telling me there are two stations Giza and Ramses anyone been on the train recently. Thanks heaps !

6 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
9,327 posts
28 reviews
1. Re: Cairo sleeper train

When I took the sleeper, it left Ramses and stopped at Giza to pick up more passengers before heading south. I boarded at Giza and think you would be OK there but the regulations may have changed and, if all else fails, you should check at one of the two stations. Doesn’t your ticket say?

Edited: 21 October 2018, 15:08
West Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
2,407 posts
52 reviews
2. Re: Cairo sleeper train

You can get on at either station. The train starts it’s journey south at Ramses station. It stops at Giza to take on more passengers.

When you buy your ticket you get an assigned room, so it does not matter what station you get on at. The Giza station is a more convenient get on point if you are staying out there and being a smaller station a little easier to manage.

Your hotel can check for you to ensure things have not changed.

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,327 posts
28 reviews
3. Re: Cairo sleeper train

“....so it does not matter what station you get on at.”

Quite possibly but not necessarily. When I did the journey, I bought the ticket the same morning at Ramses Station but was told to board that evening at Giza Station. I have absolutely no idea why but the clerk was most insistent about it.

I’m sure it will all be OK but, if the OP is still worried and doesn’t get confirmation from someone definitely in the know (the hotel sounds more in the dark than anyone), he/she should check with the railway itself. I suppose the hotel could sort it out will a phone call.

Edited: 21 October 2018, 17:25
Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Cairo
Level Contributor
1,459 posts
337 reviews
4. Re: Cairo sleeper train

I’m pretty sure it’s Giza, used to be Ramses years ago. Your hotel could ring watania and ask for clarification

Cairo, Egypt
6 posts
5. Re: Cairo sleeper train

It will be from Giza.

6. Re: Cairo sleeper train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 22 October 2018, 04:27
Edited: 22 October 2018, 04:27

Reply to: Cairo sleeper train
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted