We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Egyptian Museum in the afternoon?

Walla Walla...
Level Contributor
6 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Egyptian Museum in the afternoon?

I am trying to help plan a trip for early October of 2019 with my family. We (of course!) are trying to fit in a lot on this one-shot trip. We were hoping to do the Giza Plateau, Saqqura, & Egyptian Museum all in one day-hitting the Egyptian Museum in the afternoon when I hear that it's less crowded. However, as it doesn't have air conditioning, maybe it's less crowded for a reason...

Does anyone have any experience with visiting in the afternoon? Would it be too uncomfortable to enjoy properly in early-mid October? I know some places are alright merely because of the shade factor, but I don't know if that translates in Egypt.

Thanks in advance!

5 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
8,963 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Egyptian Museum in the afternoon?

I’ve visited in the afternoon a few times (in September/October once) without any discomfort. However, if you’re going to see Sakkara, Giza and the Museum in a single day, you’re on a whirlwind tour and, if you’re interested in the sites, you should probably make more time.

Walla Walla...
Level Contributor
6 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Egyptian Museum in the afternoon?

Thanks for your thoughts, bbeckett. So you would recommend much longer than the typical 3/2/3 hours I've been seeing suggested for each site? Or is it that you'd recommend the "tour till lunch then rest" approach?

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,963 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Egyptian Museum in the afternoon?

I’d visit Sakkara, Memphis and Dahshur one day and Giza and the Museum on another. If you’re in the mood, there’s other stuff you can do/see in the late afternoons and evenings.

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
916 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Egyptian Museum in the afternoon?

As usual, I agree with bbeckett. Giza, Saqara, and the museum are a LOT to fit in one day, unless it's a day when the museum has evening hours. I'd suggest a half-day for each of these. It would be a shame to travel all the way to Egypt and then rush through it.

As for the museum, it's impossible to predict temperature exactly, but it should be ok in october, when highs outside might be in the 80s. It can get uncomfortable in the museum in June, July, August, when highs might be in the 90's or 100's.

West Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
2,347 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Egyptian Museum in the afternoon?

You should consider visiting the site you mention over two days. Trying to see them all in one day is pushing it and be very rushed at each location with out really seeing the site. A half day is the minimum to see these sites and based on interest you could easily spend a day or more, especially at Saqqara. It is a massive site.

There is a lot to see at each site and my experience at them is they are more enjoyable if you can see them at leisure.

You could do them all in a very long day as Avalon suggests when the museum is open in the evening. I think it is open late on Thursday and Sunday nights. Check their website to confirm.

October will be a nice time to visit.

Reply to: Egyptian Museum in the afternoon?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted