We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tourist Kidnapping

Isle of Wight
Level Contributor
206 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Tourist Kidnapping

2 tourists kidnapped . Thats me out ....

Somerset,
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tourist Kidnapping

Here is a link to the Guardian article, no idea if TA will let it stand though

guardian.co.uk/world/2012/feb/03/two-us-wome…

Isle of Wight
Level Contributor
206 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tourist Kidnapping

To be fair i think they have been released now ,Still not going now tho .............

Somerset,
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tourist Kidnapping

Yes just realised, didnt know about the 25 Chinese workers though, sounds a largeish amount of people to kidnap in one go most kidnaps are one or two people. They have let them go as well thank goodness. I remember the reporting of the bomb going off inTaba all those years back, can't beleive it is still having repercussions now:-(

West Country
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tourist Kidnapping

The chances of it happening to you are remote to say the least. Very unusual for the Bedouin to be involved as well if that's actually what happened.

I think you have to remember how many tourists actually visit Egypt and how many have a trouble free holiday before cancelling any proposed visit. It would be very sad if isolated incidents put people off visiting this amazing country.

Isle of Wight
Level Contributor
206 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tourist Kidnapping

No sorry , will not take any ANY risk , Will go elsewhere ..

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai, Side
Level Contributor
20,224 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tourist Kidnapping

"Very unusual for the Bedouin to be involved as well if that's actually what happened. "

Unsure why you have said that SWmuse?

Not wishing to be controversial or attack you.....just genuinely wondered why you feel that.

Just answered a couple of similar threads with this answer:

There have been several rather unsettling events in the last week (Chinese workers being kidnapped, then the 2 American ladies, preceded by the robbery & shootings in Hadaba. All kidnapped people released unarmed) which can't have been foreseen by the FO, travel agents or anyone & authorities must be watching, intently, to see if this settles or escalates. The situation is volatile & unpredictable; keep an eye on the FO website, the news websites in general.

Whilst Sharm is 7 hrs drive from Cairo & 50 mins flight, workers are from all over Egypt & bound to be affected emotionally & morally, which shows in the increased verbal abusive hassle on the streets to some tourists.

Sinai has different problems & different "local residents", with their own "fight" after the revolution...hence recent events & many people aren't aware of that & the feelings/ resentment of those "local residents".

Regards

West Country
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tourist Kidnapping

Nephthys,

I accept what you say. I was trying, unsuccessfully it seems, to point out that despite recent events kidnappings are not part and parcel of most (the vast majoritys) holiday experiences. In these troubled times there will, regrettably, be an increased risk and it is up to individuals to assess how much risk they are willing to take unless otherwise dictated to by Government policy and advice.

I am sorry to have offended you by my comments.

UK
Level Contributor
1,085 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tourist Kidnapping

SWmuse ... I don't think anyone is offended lol :-))

Its just that regardless of what the "norm" that everyone keeps mentioning Egypt has troubles just now and Sharm El Sheikh has a different trouble to other parts

If people have all the facts, then they can make informed choices about their holiday rather than making decisions based on others opinions!

St Helens, United...
Level Contributor
121 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tourist Kidnapping

I agree with SWmuse

I'm going in May and can't wait!!

In the unlikely event I'll be kidnapped, I'll be invited for a brew with the Egyptian Government =).

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai, Side
Level Contributor
20,224 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tourist Kidnapping

Hi,

No, not offended SWmuse; if I were, I would have said so :-)

By "local residents" I don't mean local workers (who are from all over Egypt), I mean those who are indiginous to Sinai.

Regards