We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 week trip to Myanmar advice - money visa places to go ?

Bexhill-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
54 posts
2 reviews
3 week trip to Myanmar advice - money visa places to go ?

Hello

We are currently in Penang and going to Kuala Lumpur tomorrow to sort out our visa for Myanmar - has anyone done this recently ? any advice - we are English backpackers

also we are looking at flights from KL to Yangon then Yangon to Bangkok - do we need to book our flight out of Myanmar before we enter ?

Also, How much money do you think we will need for 3 weeks in Burma ? as i understand we have to take all the money we need in with us as there are no ATMS ?

Any advice on places to visit ona 3 week backpacking trip would be great

Many thanks

John and Ann

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
242 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: 3 week trip to Myanmar advice - money visa places to go ?

In Myanmar, there is no ATM, you are advise to bing around 1500usd / person for 3 weeks. The maximum quantity of money you can take into Myanmar is 2000usd.

Must-see areas where you can take buses, train from city to city or town to tow are:

- Yangon

- Mandalay

- Pin O lyn

- Bagan

- Inle Lake

- Pindaya

- Kalaw

- Bago

- Ngwe Saung

With those attractions, you can travel for 3 weeks.

Try to plan everything well with some suggestions and may be you should avoid the rainy season also.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,138 posts
92 reviews
2. Re: 3 week trip to Myanmar advice - money visa places to go ?

They will not even check how much money you are bringing, don't worry about that. For 3 weeks, including transport, hotels, dining and drinks, foreigner tourist zone admissions (+camera fees) I'd allow US$50 per day PER PERSON. I know it seems like a lot, but you may need it for incidentals, i.e. daytrips by car (expensive) and souvenirs...

I easily get by on $30 a day or less in Laos & Cambodia but I found taxis/cars for daytrips to be expensive, and those tourist zone fees added up. Beer is also double that of Cambodia, and no happy hours...You also need $10 departure fee when leaving the country.

Be ABSOLUTELY SURE that you get crisp, new US$ bills before you depart, as they will not accept folded or worn bills. You will get the best exchange rate in Yangon, and the best rate for higher denominations ($100 bills, $50 bills).

Edited: 02 March 2011, 02:01
Bexhill-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
54 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: 3 week trip to Myanmar advice - money visa places to go ?

Many thanks for all your advice - we are in KL and going to the embassy today to sort out Burma Visas then we can book our flights - do we assume that we just go into a bank here with loads of malaysian currency and exchange them for CRISP US$ ? i am hoping it will be easy ! thanks for the tip about how much to take aswell that helps a lot

Ann and John

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,138 posts
92 reviews
4. Re: 3 week trip to Myanmar advice - money visa places to go ?

Yes, insist that the dollars must be new, you can tell them you are going to Myanmar (I did that at my bank here in Japan when they looked at me strangely at my request for new bills). If they don't have new billls there, go to one that has them.

HARTLEPOOL
1 post
5. Re: 3 week trip to Myanmar advice - money visa places to go ?

How long did Visa take to process in KL?? I am a UK passport holder living in KL and I need my visa for a trip in 1 mnth time?

Perth, Australia
6 posts
6. Re: 3 week trip to Myanmar advice - money visa places to go ?

Hi, this thread has been really helpful as I am also going to Myanmar for 3 weeks in May. I am a UK citizen and need to apply for my visa in KL. Can you let me know how long the process took + how much it cost?

Bexhill-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
54 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: 3 week trip to Myanmar advice - money visa places to go ?

Hello

We went to the Myanmar embassy in KL with 2 passport photos - make sure they have a white background - if you want an express applicaton (2 days - 150 RM i think) you had to have your flight booked - i think if you pay more you can get it back the same day but depends on your powers of persuasion - we did the normal one for 5 days where you don't need to have a flight booked but you need to go within 1 month of applying for your visa -it cost 80RM each for a normal process of visa - they are only open 9.30 - 12.30 for visa applications and 4- 5pm to collect the visas, you also need to submit a photo copy of your passport - also allow an hour to queue up to submit your application - any further questions please e-mail us - we have just got back from 25 days backpacking there - if you would like our blog please let us know - its 5 pages long !!!

Malaysia
Level Contributor
8 posts
36 reviews
8. Re: 3 week trip to Myanmar advice - money visa places to go ?

We're going for 3 weeks also. What is the condition of the bus rides versus train versus flying?

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,138 posts
92 reviews
9. Re: 3 week trip to Myanmar advice - money visa places to go ?

Bus- OK if you have to, plane- very fast, will save you a lot of travel time. I have never taken the train but have heard from frequent visitors there that it is dreadfully slow and the toilets are beyond disgusting. I wouldn't bother...

There are also share taxis, you pay for one space in a car, it is usually faster than the bus...

Yangon
Level Contributor
376 posts
10. Re: 3 week trip to Myanmar advice - money visa places to go ?

for 3 weeks

$800 per pax for 1 weeks approximately

( excluding international flights )

but if u choose guest house , motel , will lower cost

change some Kyats ( Myanmar Currency ) before u leave Yangon for meals in cheap local restaurants

regards