We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling to Colombia from the states - currancy

Which Bogota hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Saint Paul...
2 posts
Save Topic
Traveling to Colombia from the states - currancy

My family and I leave this Friday for Bogota, Colombia. I am interested in what people do for money. Do you just bring credit cards? I have heard to go to the first ATM at the airport and withdraw a small about of money and that way you have the Colombian currency. I am a little nervious on what to do regarding the money part. From what I have heard, Bogota is pretty safe for our travels even though there is a Travel warning due to the bombings last fall. Just curious on your thoughts.This is our first time traveling outside the US. Please give me your feedback and any helpful tips. Thank you.

Edited: 06 March 2012, 14:23
CDY
Medellin, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Panama City
Level Contributor
3,686 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling to Colombia from the states - currancy

Just bring your debit card and a credit card - take some money out at the ATM at the airport - just like any other big city - nver carry a lot of cash on you - keep your cards/wallet in your front pocket when in crowds.

Right now $1 = 1.760 pesos

typical pesos demoniations

1 mil = 56 cents

2 mil

5 mil

10 mil

20 mil

50 mil - about $28

Many smaller merchants can't change a 50 mil - some not even a 20 mil so always keep a lot of small bills same with taxis

Wouldn't be worried about bombings - be care ful crossing the street though - busses will run over anyone.

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
3,818 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling to Colombia from the states - currancy

Most large banks,credit unions(Davienda) offer up ATM service.Most banks etc charge a withdrawl fee,contact a few banks in the U.S to find a branch that is willing to wave the ATM fees in Colombia.You'll find most of these larger banks in larger cities - smaller cities/towns will most likely have Colombian banks ie:Banco Bogota.It always a good idea to inform your bank/credit card company you will be using your cars in Colombia.

Safety in Colombia overall has been vastly improved - Isolated bombings have taken place in some remote areas of Colombia.The Colombian goverment considers tourist safety paramount.Common sense,normal precautions are always a key to safe travels.

To better understand Colombian culture - read this great travel blog by friends - http://seecolombia.travel/blog/

Buen viaje!

Saint Paul...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling to Colombia from the states - currancy

Thanks for the tips, I appreciate it. We are excited to go and see Colombia!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
562 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling to Colombia from the states - currancy

Bogota is a fairly safe city depending where you are staying. The north of the city from Zona T up is very safe; even at night you can walk around Zona T, Parque de 93, etc. without problems. Candelaria may not be the safest place to walk around at night. Maybe the biggest concern you should have is using taxis. You should have your hotel or a restaurant call a taxi for you, or if at a mall, use the official taxi stand to get a cab. It is not recommended that people that do not know the city jump into taxis on the street.

As for ATMs I would recommend trying to use ones in malls or with ATMs inside the lobby of a bank. Your biggest concern in this regard is having a skimmer attached to the ATM. If an ATM looks suspicious do not use it. Also, only use your debit card at ATMs. Use a credit card and restaurants and other businesses, and make sure you card never leaves your sight. Restaurants will swipe you card with a hand-held card reader.

Edited: 06 March 2012, 23:57
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
25 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling to Colombia from the states - currancy

Are there any money changer at Bogota Airport?

Edited: 05 April 2012, 17:00
Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
3,818 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling to Colombia from the states - currancy

IF you mean ATM yes.If your looking looking for a guy in a bad suit packing a man purse offering up a supposedly good exchange rate,no.There is a currancy exchange booth before you exit the door downstairs,however you'll get a better rate using the ATM.

BTW I like to use the ATM in the better part of town.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
25 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling to Colombia from the states - currancy

Oh.. Unbelievable. I normally change some local currency (not ATM) at all the airports upon arrival, as I don't use ATM overseas.

Thanks for your reply.

Bogota, Colombia
Destination Expert
for Colombia
Level Contributor
3,818 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traveling to Colombia from the states - currancy

You're welcome! There are other currency exchange booths upstairs,also in the int.departure area.

Edited: 05 April 2012, 20:46
9. Re: Traveling to Colombia from the states - currancy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 13:18