We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling from Santa Marta to Cartagena

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Travelling from Santa Marta to Cartagena

Does anyone have advice on buses etc which run from Santa Marta to Cartagena? How long does the journey take etc? Is it necessary to book beforehand plus any other information in that regard would be helpful.

Thanks in anticipation.

Cheers,

Michelle

Havana, Cuba
Level Contributor
5,355 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling from Santa Marta to Cartagena

There are several companies doing that route, but almost all go via Barranquilla, so it's usually a 4-6 hour journey depending on how many rounds and pick-ups they do in Quilla. But the 1 o-clock Marsol bus is almost always direct. For some reason that bus is usually full out of Santa Marta and if it's full or only has a seat or two empty, they go straight to Cartagena, so that's only about 3 hours. And far better than spending hours in a tiny seat in chronically hot Barranquilla.

Here's the info for the Marsol office in Santa Marta:

Calle 23A No. 6 - 54

Tel. 421 2121 / Cel. (300) 808 3151

Havana, Cuba
Level Contributor
5,355 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling from Santa Marta to Cartagena

If you're 3-4 persons you could also look into hiring a taxi. I have gotten quotes down to 220.000, but 250.000 to 300.000 is likely more realistic. The bus is around 45.000 - 50.000.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
112 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling from Santa Marta to Cartagena

Easier is to do Puerta a Puerta. This service will pick you up at your hotel and drop you at other hotel. Nice small aiir conditioned van. The hotel recetionist can arrange just bring address of other hotel. The trip is about 4 hours and I only recommend this way. The cost is about $65 USD per person and so worth it. I will post a link later as I am not on my home computer. My hotel will generally call Cartagena hotel and make arrangments witht he frot desk for guests.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
112 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling from Santa Marta to Cartagena

Here is the company we use.

http://marsolsa.com/servicios.html

Havana, Cuba
Level Contributor
5,355 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling from Santa Marta to Cartagena

Brian, my suggestion was exactly Marsol, so it is puerta a puerta. But there are puerta a puertas that takes 5 hours and puerta a puertas that takes three hours. I tried to explain the OP how to go straight to Cartagena - puerta a puerta.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
112 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling from Santa Marta to Cartagena

I guess we have only used the direct as it is about 4 hours.

washington, dc
Level Contributor
241 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling from Santa Marta to Cartagena

We did a puerta a puerta last month in the opposite direction - at the rec of our b and b owner in Cartagena, who also noted that the bus station is some distance from the old city. (45 min to 1 hour?) so that makes puerta a puerta, even though more expensive, worthwhile. Ours cost about $60 per person and took somewhere between 3 and 4 hours. It's an easy comfortable and interesting drive.

Havana, Cuba
Level Contributor
5,355 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling from Santa Marta to Cartagena

Puerta a puerta is the only way to go. I am just trying to specify that there's a huge difference between taking a puerta a puerta that makes rounds in Barranquilla on its way and a puerta a puerta that skips Barranquilla. A difference that can easily make the trip twice the time.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travelling from Santa Marta to Cartagena

Many thanks for this information - much appreciated. M

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply