We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will US currency be accepted on the beach?

Palatine, Illinois
Level Contributor
471 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Will US currency be accepted on the beach?

I would like to rent chairs, umbrellas, arrange jet ski or parasailing rides. I wouldn't expect credit cards to be accepted, but will USD be ok?

Punta del Este...
Level Contributor
3,654 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Will US currency be accepted on the beach?

I live in Punta but have never rented or used these things, so I don't know the answer for sure. However, in Punta, most people will accept US Dollars and give you change in Uruguayan Pesos. There's often a slight difference, against you, in the exchange rate, but it's usually not much. Credit cards are also accepted in more places than you might think, so if the operation on the beach is a large one (there are a couple of large ones on Mansa Beach right in Punta), they might accept credit cards. Surely someone with specific experience will answer you soon.

By the way, there are currency exchange houses all over the place in Punta, so it's easy to get Pesos and avoid all issues.

WDC
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,790 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Will US currency be accepted on the beach?

Just another alternative: The ATM machines work very well in Punta, and generally in Uruguay.

Took us a day to figure out that RedBrou was the ATM cabin, and not a new, high energy beer :) after that, no problem getting UY Pesos or US dollars from the ATMs.

Enjoy your beach stay - and the rest of your visit.

Edited: 17 December 2013, 13:49
Palatine, Illinois
Level Contributor
471 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Will US currency be accepted on the beach?

Thanks for the tips. We may be ready for a high energy beer after 12 days of vacationing! ;)

4. Re: Will US currency be accepted on the beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 December 2014, 05:19