We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

chihuahua beach

northeast usa
Level Contributor
16 posts
7 reviews
chihuahua beach

We will arrive in Punta del Este by cruise ship in February. From the pier - is it possible to take a taxi to Chihuahua beach - and about how much would it cost? How far away is the beach? I know there are closer beaches, but we sort of wanted to go this specific beach. Then - would we have any difficulty in getting a taxi to return us to the pier later in the day? Also - we would like to eat lunch or dinner at the La Huella restaurant. Where is it located in relation to the Chihuahua beach - is it in a totally opposite direction - if so then I guess that would not work. (It is so awkward to be the new person in town!) Any help in answering these questions would be so appreciated.

Punta del Este...
Level Contributor
3,654 posts
16 reviews
1. Re: chihuahua beach

You can take a taxi to Chihuahua. It is about 10 miles up the coast toward Montevideo. I can't tell you the cost, but taxis are expensive. You could probably have the same taxi come back and pick you up. Chihuahua is down a little dirt road, most people take their own cars or motorcycles (or walk from the beach at Portezuelo/Punta Ballena) and taxis don't usually wait there for fares because they wouldn't have much luck. There is a guard at the car park (as there is at every beach) and he/she might be able to call a taxi. Chihuahua is a beautiful beach, even if you're not looking at the bodies.

La Huella is in Jose Ignacio, exactly the opposite direction for the pier, toward Brazil. From the pier, it's about 25-28 miles to Jose Ignacio. The beach at La Huella is also beautiful, and it and La Huella draw the jet set (the part that wants to keep a small stitch of clothing on -- some of the jet set, e.g., Naomi Campbell, goes to Chihuahua).

northeast usa
Level Contributor
16 posts
7 reviews
2. Re: chihuahua beach

Thank you so much for the info. If I understood you correctly, we could take a taxi to the beach and could either have the guard call for a return taxi back to the pier or we could walk up the beach to a more populated area and catch a taxi there. When you say walk - how far do you mean - a mile - more? We are fine with that - just trying to be well informed.

Have you ever eaten at LaHuella? Is it worth the drive? I bet a taxi ride would be costly - huh?

Thanks for you time in replying to me and helping me with this info.

Punta del Este...
Level Contributor
3,654 posts
16 reviews
3. Re: chihuahua beach

The walk from Chihuahua to the more populated area, along the beach, would be about two miles. Gawkers make the walk all the time, in order to "stumble" onto Chihuahua.

My wife and I started going to La Huella in January 2005 and have eaten there about 20 times per year since. It is my favorite place to eat lunch in the entire world. I cannot say enough good things about it. Take a look:

www.paradorlahuella.com

And just Google it for others' positive write-ups.

If you go, don't even look at the menu (which is varied and excellent), just ask for the fish of the day with verduras asadas (roasted vegetables); it's all cooked over open fire and in brick ovens.

The taxi to and from La Huella would be very expensive, over US$ 100 total for sure, but during the season there are local buses from the pier/peninsula and back -- just a question of timing, as I don't know the schedules.

northeast usa
Level Contributor
16 posts
7 reviews
4. Re: chihuahua beach

Thank you so much for your help - you have helped us to make our plans.

Punta del Este...
Level Contributor
3,654 posts
16 reviews
5. Re: chihuahua beach

Glad to help. Enjoy.

6. Re: chihuahua beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2009, 23:16