We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buenos Aires to Punta del Este.

Mexico
Level Contributor
230 posts
172 reviews
Save Topic
Buenos Aires to Punta del Este.

Hi.

A friend and I will be visiting Buenos Aires next december, but we would like to visit Uruguay too.

I wanna know how is the best way to get from Buenos Aires to Punta del Este? By plane? if so which airlines fly this route, or by boat to Montevideo, and then by bus? (is it a good idea? in order to visit Montevideo too?)We have 15 days to visit Buenos Aires and Uruguay.

How do you recommend to get there?

Any idea will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Buenos Aires
Buenos Aires
Capital Federal District, Argentina
Punta del Este
Punta del Este
Maldonado Department, Uruguay
Montevideo
Montevideo
Montevideo Department, Uruguay
Uruguay
Uruguay
South America
punta del este...
Level Contributor
464 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Buenos Aires to Punta del Este.

Rocco:

You have several choices: buque and bus via either Montevideo or Colonia, direct air, or bus all the way.

The buquebus leaves several times a day, first time at 08:00 from BA Puerto Madero to Montevideo (3 hours) or 08:45 to Colonia (1 hour). From Montevideo there are buses making direct connection with the buque in 2 hours to Punta or in Colonia to Punta (4 hours) -- the same travel time, depends on whether you prefer to spend it on the boat or a bus (fares are cheaper via Colonia).

PLUNA (uruguaya) or Aerolineas Argentinas fly the route BA Aeroparque to Punta non-stop in summer--time of your visit. It´s easy to use the convenient Aeroparque airport downtown and the miniature "international terminal" of 2 gates is comfortable and never crowded since it has flights only to Uruguay. Takes 45 minutes by air but prices are steep.

Third option is an overnight bus all the way via the bridge at Gualeguaychu but the route may be cut by piqueteros argentinos from time to time, although it looks like this may finally be over.

Mentioned in this post
Montevideo
Montevideo
Uruguay
Uruguay
South America
Gualeguaychu
Gualeguaychu
Province of Entre Rios, Argentina
nyc/uruguay
Level Contributor
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Buenos Aires to Punta del Este.

It all depends on your budget, how energetic you are and how early you like to start the day.

Cheapest, long but truly beautiful trip is Cacciola (www.cacciolaviajes.com), is a boat that goes through the Tigre River Delta and arrives to Carmelo little town in Uruguay, from where they take you by bus to Montevideo where you can tour around, thought I will give it only a few of hours just to the old part and maybe Positos neighborhood (I would not do an extra effor to see Montevideo, only if it is on your way). Then a bus to Punta.

(I recommend this trip just for OW unless is for budget reasons, around $20 OW to MVD, +$7 MVD-Punta bus.

Cheap (and not so depending of destination and ferry speed) and not so long thought still long is a Ferry to Colonia (Buquebus.com) and believe me it is worth to spend 2/3 hours strolling around town, it is a very well kept colonial town.

Then you can bus to Montevideo, wonder around and then bus to Punta what you can do quite late (till around midnight) and Punta is very safe to arrive anytime.

Slow ferry+ mvd bus $41 ow

Fast ferry+ mvd bus $54 ow

Ferry to MVD $81 OW

Flight to Punta $217

Mentioned in this post
Tigre
Tigre
Province of Buenos Aires, Argentina
Carmelo
Carmelo
Colonia Department, Uruguay
Uruguay
Uruguay
South America
Montevideo
Montevideo
Mexico
Level Contributor
230 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buenos Aires to Punta del Este.

Thank you very much for your advices.

4. Re: Buenos Aires to Punta del Este.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2009, 18:20