We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Topless in Punta del Este?

Lake Tahoe
Level Contributor
287 posts
Topless in Punta del Este?

Are there any beaches that either topless or c/o in the Punta del Este area?

Punta del Este...
Level Contributor
3,654 posts
16 reviews
1. Re: Topless in Punta del Este?

There is a beautiful clothing optional beach called Chihuahua, on the Montevideo side of the Punta aresa, very well attended and with lifeguards and drink/snack bar. It's one of the best beaches in the area.

One doesn't normally see topless women on other beaches. However, it is my understanding that it is allowed, and the absence of toplessness is simply a cultural thing. This January, it made the newspaper when two Belgian women took off their tops on the beach right in front of the largest hotel (Conrad). No one stopped them, and the article said several local women followed suit. I've also heard that some of the Europeans who frequent Jose Ignacio (more excellent beaches) go topless.

Montevideo, Uruguay
Level Contributor
326 posts
16 reviews
2. Re: Topless in Punta del Este?

Topless is allowed in all the Maldonado coast.

C/O beach is Chihuaua, with a very nice beach and view of Punta Ballena. It is way before the airport of Laguna del Sauce, for your reference.

If you are not shy when stared... that is something that would certainly happen if you choose to go topless on a very crowded beach other than Chihuaua. But nobody will be annoying you or uploading videos in Utube... not to worry!

enjoy the beach, carry serious sunscreen (30) and avoid 1pm to 4pm hours, when sunbathing.

best!

denver
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
3. Re: Topless in Punta del Este?

I spent a year in montevideo and we traveled to punta for many weekends. I never saw ANYONE topless. With the very machismo culture there, I would suggest keeping your top on. You will have more attention than it's worth. You'll get stared at fully clothed, I can't imagine why anyone would want to set themselves up for the kind of attention you'll get topless.

4. Re: Topless in Punta del Este?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2009, 17:17
Get answers to your questions about Punta del Este