We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling to Punta Feb 16-23

New York City, New...
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Traveling to Punta Feb 16-23

My partner and I are traveling with another couple to Punta del Este in Feb and are new traveles to the area...

Anything we shouldn't miss?

Sights?

Restaurants?

Any suggestions would be great and thanks..

Mentioned in this post
Punta del Este
Punta del Este
Maldonado Department, Uruguay
Punta del Este...
Level Contributor
3,654 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling to Punta Feb 16-23

I can give you good advice (I live there more than half the year), but need to know your age group and what you like to do when in a beach environment. Where are you staying?

New York City, New...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling to Punta Feb 16-23

We are in our 30s and are staying at La Capilla. Is that an okay place??

We would like to experience the area and surrounding areas...food... sights...nightlife. We are open to anything.

Mentioned in this post
La Capilla
La Capilla
229 Reviews
Punta del Este, Uruguay
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
88 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling to Punta Feb 16-23

My partner and I will also be in Punta Del Este during this period and would love some recommendations. We're in our late 30's and own a place in Buenos Aires (we're from Los Angeles)

Any recommendations for hotels or apartments for rent. This is a last minute trip and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Punta del Este
Punta del Este
Buenos Aires
Buenos Aires
Capital Federal District, Argentina
Punta del Este...
Level Contributor
3,654 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling to Punta Feb 16-23

La Capilla is an older boutique hotel located in a very nice residential area of Punta, two blocks walk from a very long, quite wide beach along the Atlantic. (The area has beaches on the Atlantic and on the Rio de la Plata. The water is indistiguishable, looks like ocean even along the river, but the river side is calmer.) The hotel is a favorite of Europeans. There's a nice Italian restaurant associated with it a block away (Roma Amor). There are two other boutique hotels in the same general area, L'Auberge and AWA Boutique, a cut above La Capilla but also much farther from the beach. You'll be fine in La Capilla.

You have to have a car to enjoy Punta del Este, as the area runs for over 40 miles along the coast, and the most beautiful beaches, in Jose Ignacio and at Playa Chihuahua (the latter clothing optional) are at the extreme ends. The better restaurants are also spread out. Plus, the scenery varies dramatically at different points along the coast.

Things to do:

-- Take in the views, especially at sunset, from Punta Ballena. There's an interesting artist's studio/museum/hotel/restaurant complex, Casapueblo, located near the tip of Punta Ballena, a good spot at sunset.

-- Visit the port area on the peninsula, and try to go to Isla Gorritti just offshore from the port. There's a "jet set" photo location on the island this year, but the island is open to all.

-- Drive the entire coast from Chihuahua to Jose Ignacio (and even beyond, on the dirt road that continues), taking in the changing scenery, changing neighborhoods, and spectacular houses.

-- Eat at La Huella on the beach in Jose Ignacio (mentioned in Gourmet Magazine's on line edition as the best seaside restaurant in the world, yet it's a place you can eat in your swimsuit with no problem during the day); also at Marismo and NAMM, two restaurants outdoors in the woods in Jose Ignacio.

Check out the blog at www.newsfrompuntadeleste.blogspot.com, for more on the area, especially the post titled "Introduction to Punta del Este" -- it decribes the area and gives a little historical insight.

Mentioned in this post
La Capilla
La Capilla
229 Reviews
Punta del Este, Uruguay
L'Auberge
L'Auberge
620 Reviews
Punta del Este, Uruguay
Punta del Este
Punta del Este
Jose Ignacio
Jose Ignacio
La Huella
La Huella
2,236 Reviews
Jose Ignacio, Uruguay
Marismo
Marismo
301 Reviews
Jose Ignacio, Uruguay
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
88 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling to Punta Feb 16-23

Thanks for all of the great advice PuntaLuguna.

Another question for you. My partner and I currently own a place and Buenos Aires and want to purchase in Punta Del Este. Part of our trip in February is to explore the different communities to get a feel for the area. Do you have advice on the following questions?:

1. What's generally preferred - the Brava or Mansa side?

2. Do you think the Punta Ballena side (Chihuahua) is a good investment?

3. I'm concerned that the river side is more polluted, is this true?

4. Is there more/less wind on either side?

5. In general, where do you think the best investment sits in the Punta Del Este area?

We're considering living there 6-8 months out of the year, swapping time with Buenos Aires and back in the States. We're not opposed to areas that are a little more remote but would like to have services handy. I'm not sure if being more remote translates into safety issues as well.

Thanks again for all of your help in the previous post!

Tim

Mentioned in this post
Buenos Aires
Buenos Aires
Capital Federal District, Argentina
Punta del Este
Punta del Este
Mono74
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling to Punta Feb 16-23

PuntaLugano will answer you, but here is my opinion:

1. Mansa has always been more a family beach, younger people prefers "la brava"

2. You will have a lot of paperwork to any business in Chihuahua, since this place is a "nude optional" beach and are some environtmental issues about business in here, so maybe the bourocratic thing could be an issue, not impossible to solve.

3. The river is not polluted at all, maybe i'm exagerating a little, the levels of pollution of the river are the same that the ocean. Even if for geographical reasons Punta del Este is marked as the division between the Atlantic and Rio de la Plata, the mix of water continues along the uruguayan coast since you could find yourself swiming in ocean water 50 kilometers towards Montevideo. The water in the Río de la Plata is darker, or better said, is brown because the amount of iron in the river-bed (geography was one of my favourites), so that is why sometimes the water is darker on the river side.

4. For the times i've spent there i could say that is some kind of corridor and the wind goes throug the peninsula.

5. I let this for PuntaLugano.

I can give you some advice, if you go to the east you will find some places that are growing a lot form year to year like "La Paloma" in Rocha, you wont find any "Jet-Set" there, yet; the government of La Paloma (Intendencia Municipal de Rocha) is making some investments improving the roads and encouraging investments in hotels, restaurants, bar, etc. I don't say that you should make an investment there, but La Paloma is growing as a tourist spot like never did, this year with a record of tourist with all full. If you are looking long term i think La Paloma is the place.

That's what i have to say, and i'm sure PuntaLugano will continue doing a great work solving issues for everyone here, so about Punta del Este trust him, not me, exception made of water issue (jaja).

Mentioned in this post
Punta del Este
Punta del Este
Rio de la Plata
Rio de la Plata
1,999 Reviews
Colonia del Sacramento, Uruguay
Montevideo
Montevideo
Montevideo Department, Uruguay
La Plata
La Plata
Province of Buenos Aires, Argentina
La Paloma
La Paloma
Rocha Department, Uruguay
Punta del Este...
Level Contributor
3,654 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling to Punta Feb 16-23

I'll try to be (relatively) succinct here, and you can send me an email at philjor@gmail.com if you want more detail. Mono74 gave good information all around.

1. Mono74 correctly stated the preferences for La Mansa and La Brava. These names refer only to the beaches very near the peninsula on the river (La Mansa) and ocean (La Brava) side. Once you move away from the area of Punta del Este proper, the names change and the preferences for the beaches change. Really, all the beaches are good, it's just that some are great. Forget about the river vs. the ocean -- you cannot tell them apart in the Punta area.

2. Buy at Chihuahua for the beauty of the beach and the peacefulness of the area. As an investment, it could go either way, although my personal view is that it will turn out to be a very good investment. It's a couple of miles away from Punta Ballena.

3. There's a little open drainage issue at a couple of spots along La Mansa, but once you get to Paunta Ballena and beyond there's no pollution. There's an oil off-loading facility on the ocean side near Jose Ignacio and there was a small spill there a few weeks ago that soiled some beaches for day or two. As a general matter, there's no concern about pollution.

4. The ocean side is much windier, all along the coast. But as with any coastal area near a huge body of water, there are fairly constant breezes even on the river side. You can get ferocious winds along both the ocean and the river in the winter.

5. I agree with Mono74 that Rocha and La Paloma specifically are the places to look if you're thinking solely investment. But right now they are really remote; this will change if they ever build the bridge over the laguna that they keep talking about. Second best, much more expensive even now, is Jose Ignacio (be careful here, though, a there are many developments just getting off the ground and the area's quality could get changed over the next few years). Next would be right at Punta Ballena -- anything that gives you access to the views from Punta Ballena. Then, I would probably say Chihuahua or even past Chihuahua headed toward Piriapolis -- this area is cheaper and yet one day Piriapolis and the Punta area may grow together -- could be many years, however. Nothing right around Punta del Este proper is a good investment, because there is simply too much available and they are buildig much, much more right now. One other place to look is the stretch between Manantiales (out past La Barra) and Jose Ignacio, which is empty right now and may have building restrictioins or may be owned by only a few families. Finally, if you were interested in going inland a bit, there's a peublo inland from Jose Ignacio called Garzon that a famous chef named Francis Mallmann is trying to "make happen." If he succeeds, anyone who owns there will clean up -- but it's a bet, not an investment.

Personal safety is not an issue in the Punta area, no matter how remote. What is an issue is proprty crime -- lots of break-ins of houses looking for laptop computers and cell phones and such. Apartments don't have this problem, but it's a given with any house. Alarm companies do a great business. This is no different from any other resort area.

Mentioned in this post
Punta del Este
Punta del Este
Jose Ignacio
Jose Ignacio
La Paloma
La Paloma
Rocha Department, Uruguay
Piriapolis
Piriapolis
La Barra
La Barra
Maldonado, Uruguay
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
88 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traveling to Punta Feb 16-23

Hello Mono74 and PuntaLugano.

Thank-you for all of the information, it is greatly appreciated to hear first-hand advice.

If we have any other questions, I'll be sure to email you.

Thanks again.

Tim & Reuben

9. Re: Traveling to Punta Feb 16-23

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2009, 11:16