We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling at Night

4 posts
Traveling at Night

Hey all! This might be a little complicated, so bear with me:

My friends and I are planning a weekend trip to Punta Del Este from Buenos Aires, where we're currently studying. They're planning on leaving Friday morning, but I work all Friday, so I'd have to leave after work. Since they're leaving midday Sunday, taking the 6 hours out of my Saturday would make the trip pointless. So, I've figured out a way to get to PDE overnight after work on Friday, but it's a little complicated:

1. I get out of work at 6, I can leave a little early and catch a 6:55pm Seacat ferry to Montevideo (I work close to the station)

2. The ferry would get me to Montevideo at 11:10. I then travel from the Seacat terminal to Tres Cruces bus station and take a 1:00am bus out of Montevideo to PDE.

3. I get to PDE around 3:30am and somehow figure out how to get to my friend's AirBNB, where they'll all still be up partying (hopefully), at 4:00am

Is this plan crazy? It involves me traveling through Montevideo and then PDE alone at night. Will I die? How dangerous is it to be alone at night in those places? Any insight would be appreciated (including alternate ways to get there, but I've already checked flights and every combination of bus/ferry so idk if there IS another way).

Thanks!!

4 replies to this topic
Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Uruguay
Level Contributor
3,144 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: Traveling at Night

It's not crazy at all. First off, the bus you'll be taking to Montevideo stops at Tres Cruces. That's the Seacat terminal, as it were. So, if all goes well, you could hop on the 23:30 bus and be in Punta del Este a bit after 1:30.

I don't know where your friend is staying, but I reckon you can take a taxi there from the bus terminal. I'm sure taxis will be waiting there to pick up bus passengers.

BTW, I don't see any buses from Tres Cruces to Punta del Este after 23:30. Where did you see this 1:00 bus?

Edited: 29 October 2018, 02:56
Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Uruguay
Level Contributor
3,144 posts
6 reviews
2. Re: Traveling at Night

I take it back! I found the 01:00 bus. My settings were hiding the Copsa 01:00 departure. Looking at Urubus it would also seem that there is a 00:30 COT bus, but it doesn't show up anywhere else. There's also a 00:00 Copsa bus showing up only on Rome2Rio.

It might be a good idea to contact these companies directly to see what's up.

4 posts
3. Re: Traveling at Night

Thank you so much, this was so helpful! I wanted to take the 23:30 bus but I thought I'd have to travel between terminals, since I couldn't find anything on the Seacat website about where their terminal is and putting "Seacat Montevideo" into Google maps was giving me something very different. I'll contact COPSA because that 00:00 bus would be ideal for me.

Thanks again!

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Uruguay
Level Contributor
3,144 posts
6 reviews
4. Re: Traveling at Night

My pleasure.

Indeed, googling Seacat Montevideo will show their sales office on Plaza Entrevero. Seacat is owned by Buquebus and they use the same buses. They all go to Tres Cruces. You could also wind up taking a Buquebus ferry with a Seacat ticket if there is one leaving at the same time. This happened to me in 2014.

As for safety, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Uruguay is generally quite safe, despite what the Uruguayans might say. That being said, it's still South-America and you will be in bus terminals. So I would be on my guard and watch for petty thieves and the like.

Reply to: Traveling at Night
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted