We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling from Buenos Aires to San Antonio, Uruguay

chicago
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Traveling from Buenos Aires to San Antonio, Uruguay

I am thinking of taking the ferry from BA to Colonia del Sacramento and spending the day there.

Can anyone tell me the best way - on land - to get to San Antonio, Uruguay? If possible, I would like to see Montevideo and Punta del Este on my way. If bus is my only option, is it safe for a woman traveling alone?

many thanks!

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
47,867 posts
288 reviews
267 helpful votes
1. Re: Traveling from Buenos Aires to San Antonio, Uruguay

Are you referring to San Antonio in the Department of Rocha? This place? lapedrera.com.uy/localidad-san-antonio.htm

You'll need to take a bus from Colonia to Montevideo. Then if you want to also see Punta del Este, after you spend a couple of days in Montevideo, take a bus to Punta del Este. From PDE you can take a bus to La Pedrera. Where exactly in San Antonio, I'm afraid I don't know, but you can ask at the bus station for a cab to take you there.

You can see the bus schedules on this page: http://www.trescruces.com.uy (middle of the page, sorry it's in Spanish, select your departure city and your destination, you'll get a schedule and the name of the bus company).

It's fine to travel by bus in Uruguay. As to safety, I don't see a problem but keep in mind that it is best to leave all your jewelry at home and don't carry an expensive DSLR. I would be giving you the same advice if you were a man. Keep a credit card and some cash in a pocket. Another credit card in your wallet. Don't carry too much cash. No needed. Almost everywhere you can buy what you need with a credit card in Uruguay. (Just don't forget to let your bank know that you'll be traveling and to where before leaving home.)

chicago
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
2. Re: Traveling from Buenos Aires to San Antonio, Uruguay

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to my inquiry. Since writing my question, I have also been checking out the tour companies recommended on this site. I think I may ask them to put together a tour for me so that I will be sure to see everything note-worthy. Additionally, our advice regarding safe-keeping of valuables is always a good reminder . .man or woman . .no matter where you are traveling.

Thanks again for your very helpful information!

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
47,867 posts
288 reviews
267 helpful votes
3. Re: Traveling from Buenos Aires to San Antonio, Uruguay

You're very welcome ! Not sure which companies are you checking out but just in case, one of the most recommended companies is Real English tours. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Revie…

chicago
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
4. Re: Traveling from Buenos Aires to San Antonio, Uruguay

Thank you again!!

5. Re: Traveling from Buenos Aires to San Antonio, Uruguay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 November 2018, 04:17