We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Yas Island worth seeing at night?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,718 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Is Yas Island worth seeing at night?

If I go to Masdar, it seems that I might as well go to Yas Island, then take the road to Saadiyat Island back to the port. Is there much to see on that road?

At night the cruise ship offers Yas Island as an excursion. So I wonder is it worth seeing at night.

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
4,012 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Yas Island worth seeing at night?

You are proposing a sensible route to or from Masdar. If you have seen Yas Marina in the daytime it would not be worth going again at night. I always take my visitors there to see it in daytime.

The road from Yas and Saadiyat is mostly a wide freeway with some undulation for the bridges. At daytime you will see the lovely blue sea water and the mangroves. It is definitely more interesting that the route along Raha Beach. There are some places to stop on Saadiyat on the way back to make it more interesting - maybe stop at the golf club, Al Manarat Al Saadiyat cultural exhibition and Monte Carlo Beach Club to name a few possible stops. ILME

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,718 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Yas Island worth seeing at night?

Brilliant, as usual.

B/c of you, I'll do 2 days in AD and go at a leisurely pace. (But then Latimer, I'll hit the ground running in all the other ports - I couldn't just sit on a ship in port ;) )

The mangrove looked fascinating but the CNN online article said very few people have been there and it's UNESCO. I'm wondering if you've have the opportunity to go?

After that I was thinking of the Iranian Souk - I remember what you said about not being in full swing, but if I'm near there..... (Fish and Veggie Souk). I'm unsure exactly were we dock but these seem to be in the general area.

Are there any tourist sites that are closed on Sun. or Mon.?

You're right, there is a lot to see in AD.

Also, anything you recommend we do at night/or worth seeing in the nighttime? We have 3 nights in AD.

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
4,012 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Yas Island worth seeing at night?

For kayaking, I went recently with Noukhada on a 2 hour mangrove tour by kayak (there are reviews here onTrip Advisor, including mine). I wish I had been before. The mangroves that are toured by kayak are right beside Abu Dhabi island, not far from Sheikh Zayed Bridge. It is increasingly popular, especially at weekends (Friday/Saturday).

The Iranian Souq is quiet at present (normally only quiet in high summer). If you are in the fish marrket area then it is easy to visit. Your ship will be moored fairly near there anyway, as you say.

Ferrari World is usually closed on Mondays but that is the only tourist site that I can think of that is closed on Mondays. Sunday is a normal working day. The weekend evenings (Thu/Fri/Sat) are more lively. Go to a bar or restaurant with a view after dark. In addition to Al Fanar (Le Royal Meridien) and Marina Mall Tower you could also try Jumeirah Etihad Towers which has a restaurant with a supposedly amazing view from the 63rd floor. If it is anything like the view from my 61st floor apartment (in another part of the city) that would be well worth a visit. I read a review recently in The National so you can probably find that online. There are also restaurants and bars with outdoor seating where you can go to at night to sit by the water. The Yacht Club or Fishmarket at the InterContinental, Vasco's at the Hilton, or Finz at Beach Rotana spring to mind. Lower budget places like Havana Cafe at the International Marine Club (near Marina Mall) you can also smoke shisha overlooking the marina there. The cafes on the Corniche are also nice places to sit at night looking out at the sea and beach.

Generally, the city is more lively at night than during the daytime. Shops are open until 10:00 pm at least. So you could go to the gold souq, the malls or anything of interest. The Grand Mosque is also frequently recommended at dusk.

Otthers may have other suggestions for evening/night activities. I hope this helps. ILME

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,718 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Yas Island worth seeing at night?

As always VERY helpful, especially, as I'm running out of time for researching.

Too bad we just couldn't have drinks at your 61st floor - that's halfway up the BK! Do you guys ever get earthquakes?

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
4,012 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Yas Island worth seeing at night?

There have been one minor tremor here in the years I have been in AD. The northern Emirates are more prone to tremors, but it is not a high risk here - Iran is the closest place that gets proper earthquakes. I'll get back to you on your PM questions... ILME

6. Re: Is Yas Island worth seeing at night?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 April 2013, 10:34