We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Only 3nts to see Oman-skip time in Muscat?

LAX
Level Contributor
232 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Only 3nts to see Oman-skip time in Muscat?

I've got two options- either flying DXB-MCT and seeing Muscat that day and then driving to Nizwa the next a.m.and overnight there, then one more brief night in Muscat after driving back from Nizwa and the Wahiba Sands area. The 2nd option is being picked up early from Dubai and driving to Muscat with sightseeing along the way, seaside and Rustaq, which will be a long drive, then doing Nizwa the next day so virtually having little time in Muscat. Any recommendations?

Muscat, Oman
Level Contributor
5,306 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Only 3nts to see Oman-skip time in Muscat?

Personally would give myself more time in Muscat - so much to see. Muttrah Souk, The Corniche, The Sultan Qaboos Grand Mosque, The Armed Forces Museum (not just armed forces - gives a good history lesson about Oman, too) and other museums just to mention a few.

Have done the drive from DXB - MCT several times (via Hatta) and it takes about 4 1/2hrs and, unless you stop and visit one of the many castles, it's a pretty mundane journey and the scenery can be somewhat monotonous.

Again, personally, would get the earliest possible flight from DXB and give myself the extra time to explore Muscat's charms.

HTH

LAX
Level Contributor
232 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Only 3nts to see Oman-skip time in Muscat?

Thx, and though we were going to see a fort or two enroute, think it will be too much time in the car with the trip to Nizwa the next day also. I do want to see Muscat as it sounds interesting.

Muscat, Oman
Level Contributor
5,306 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Only 3nts to see Oman-skip time in Muscat?

Think you could be right, too much time spent in a car if you drive from DXB to MCT and then drive to Nizwa and back. Muscat is wonderful and, in general, nothing is too far away (and if you hire a car GPS should work although you can pretty much find your way around with an Explorer map) or just stop and ask an Omani for directions ... that's always worked for us! We've always found them to be charming, helpful and willing to go out of their way to help.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,882 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Only 3nts to see Oman-skip time in Muscat?

Most Omanis would just offer to drive you there themselves! If you are in an area where you will see people, you don't have to worry about getting lost (assuming you don't mind asking for directions).

Muscat, Oman
Level Contributor
5,306 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Only 3nts to see Oman-skip time in Muscat?

Greasy is absolutely right. On one of our first visits to Muscat about 4 yrs ago we got chatting to a lovely Omani gentleman (who was a keen photographer) and he offered to give us a tour of Muscat. We'd have loved to have accepted but sister & brother-in-law wanted to get back to the hotel and pool for a lazy afternoon.

On another visit we got along famously with our guide at the Armed Forces Museum. It was our 25th wedding anniversary that day and he told all his colleagues who were thrilled for us - don't think we've ever seen such genuinely delighted smiles before or since.

He was excited at the thought of going home to a village near Nizwa on leave the following day (first day of Eid) to see his gorgeous baby son - he showed us photos of him on his phone - and said that, if we were still in Muscat for a few more days, would we like to come and stay with him and his family and to celebrate Eid with them. Unfortunately, another offer we had to decline as we had to leave early the next morning to get back to DXB.

I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time exploring Muscat.

LAX
Level Contributor
232 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Only 3nts to see Oman-skip time in Muscat?

I have booked an Oman Air flt to get to Mct so that there will be time to explore the city also. Thanks for your replies!

salalah
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Only 3nts to see Oman-skip time in Muscat?

so i deffinately suggest seeing the cornich in muttrah by walking but recently hit by a cyclone so im not sure about it now :( also city centre and grand qaboos masjid and al qurum beach swadi beach also good one.

8. Re: Only 3nts to see Oman-skip time in Muscat?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2010, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Muscat Governorate