We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on Beirut

London, United...
4 posts
1 review
Advice on Beirut

Hi all, I'm travelling to Beirut next month from London (flights and hotel prepaid) with my wife and 10 month old daughter staying at the Sofitel hotel. I'm there for 9 days and keen to understand how much money I would roughly need per day for 2 of of us (have all the baby requirements). The main things will be taxis food drinks (including alcohol) etc. I'm there for a wedding so sightseeing will be limited but would be great of we get the opportunity to explore. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

7 replies to this topic
Beirut, Lebanon
Level Contributor
68 posts
161 reviews
1. Re: Advice on Beirut

Gaby put it very eloquently in a previous post on the same topic... Your budget depends on how much you want to spend! If you are okay sticking with mostly sandwiches and the like, you can eat for about $5 per person per day. That will rise depending on the restaurant you end up going to and the type of alcohol you end up consuming. So it really depends on your budget. The Gemmayze area of Beirut offers a lot of options in terms of restaurants and pubs/bars and again, the budget depends on how much you are willing to spend. As for taxis, well, if you stick to Beirut, you should expect to pay anywhere between $10 to $15 per trip (but expect to haggle with the taxi driver BEFORE you get into the taxi). I would strongly recommend you think about using UBER in Beirut; it is relatively cheap and the ride is metered (you will have the option to pay the driver cash for the trip rather than have a credit card in the system).

London, United...
4 posts
1 review
2. Re: Advice on Beirut

Hey thanks Naji for the response. Likely to do a restaurant 1 or 2 nights. I Won't be drinking a great deal as I have the little one in tow.I am currently getting £56 return for the airport pick up/drop off which is a 20 min drive away. That is my main concern so wondering if I should pre book or use taxi/uber instead? I have Uber so could use this for trips to the hotel hosting the wedding which is 5 mins away from my hotel, as I will likely be going there everyday. Thaks for your advice though. Very helpful.

Beirut, Lebanon
Level Contributor
68 posts
161 reviews
3. Re: Advice on Beirut

Hmmmm... I am guessing they are quoting a price for a "larger" car (as I assume you would have at least 2 or 3 pieces of luggage, plus baby stroller, etc)... I know for sure you would pay a lot less with a prearranged taxi or with Uber had you been traveling alone (not more than GBP25 from/to the airport), but given that you are traveling with your wife and 10-month old baby (and the extra luggage), it might be a good idea to pay a bit extra for the journey from/to the airport and for the peace of mind (just to be on the safe side). The last thing you need is to be waiting at the airport only to find that your prearranged taxi service or the Uber you ordered cannot accommodate you, the family and the luggage.

London, United...
4 posts
1 review
4. Re: Advice on Beirut

Hi all thanks again for the advice. I managed to get the hotel to provide a free shuttle service with car seat. And will look to use Uber while I am there.

Manama, Bahrain
Level Contributor
494 posts
231 reviews
5. Re: Advice on Beirut

The cost of your food is dependent on your choices. You can easily eat for 3-4$ a quick sandwich to go or splurge on a 50$ pp restaurant. There's a lot of variety and options in Lebanon. As for taxis, you can check the Uber app even when in the UK, type two addresses and see the estimate for it.

London, United...
4 posts
1 review
6. Re: Advice on Beirut

Thanks Gio

Seattle
Level Contributor
16 posts
7 reviews
7. Re: Advice on Beirut

Food wise there are also a number of grocery stores in Beirut.

Reply to: Advice on Beirut
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted