We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just a couple tips from my visit

Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Just a couple tips from my visit

HI- Just wanted to give a few tips from my experience (fwiw travelling alone as a woman)

I used uber and careem (the local version) to get around town, careem is cheaper and just as good- if you get an overcharge they will refund you.

I liked Hamra, but wonder why it gets so much attention on this board as there are many other nice areas too (my guess is it is geared for those looking for nightclub life?)

My favorite reasonably priced restaurant to go alone was T. Marbouta in Hamra (basically unmarked and behind starbucks)- the food is really great and it has a very nice and comfy atmosphere.

I stayed at Studio 44 which I recommend for location and clean rooms which have a desk and sofa- around $60us a night or less. It is in Hamra right near the Commodore hotel.

As a first timer I found the airport a bit confusing at night and very crowded (2am!) so I would go with a pickup service. On the way back allow more time for security than you think you will need.

For souvenirs such as spices there is a Goodies in town and also before you board- I really loved this grocery store! Also they have the best fruit.

I don't recommend the malls- there is not much local anything and they seem to like the weirdest things from the US like PF Changs and Payless Shoes! haha weird things to export!

I did 2 Nakhal tours- they were jam packed and a good value, there were 3 unrelated Lebanese people on one with their guests, so it must have a good local reputation too. Very professional. Don't miss the Bekka Valley. I cared less for the Byblos one by far.

I found everyone very respectful and easy to deal with- really a very nice place!

Bottom line- this is a great city where I felt totally safe and treated well. I absolutely loved my time there.

6 replies to this topic
Manama, Bahrain
Level Contributor
304 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just a couple tips from my visit

Thanks for the report and glad you enjoyed your time in Beirut :)

Beirut, Lebanon
Destination Expert
for Beirut
Level Contributor
411 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just a couple tips from my visit

thanks for the review

Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just a couple tips from my visit

Thanks for sharing your experiences. They are very useful for me. I will be in Beirut on 16 October for 4 nights in Rotana Hotel with my family and hope to use your experiences which you shared.

Beirut
Level Contributor
921 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just a couple tips from my visit

Hello Terr,

Glad to knowyou enjoyed your trip!

Concerning Hamra, the reason it is getting more attention is the proximity for other locations as it is central, the variety of accommodations offered there ( B&B, studios, furnished apartments, 4 and 5 stars hotels), the multiple choice of different cuisines restaurants again for all budgets, a whole street specialized in pubs and nightlife, for shopoholics Hamra offered big variety of shops ( international and local brands, souvenir shops and customized gift shops), well connected by public transportation to other part of beirut and the surrounding, not to forget that the American university of beirut and its medical center are there too :)

Best regards

Inaya

NJ
Level Contributor
33 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just a couple tips from my visit

only issue with hamra is taxis do not wanna go there due to the traffic i found.. if you ask to go to hamra the taxi keeps on going..

Beirut
Level Contributor
921 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just a couple tips from my visit

So true;)

They avoid Hamra in specific timings, which are considered peak hours!

Reply to: Just a couple tips from my visit
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted