We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lebanon: Beirut safety

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
26 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Lebanon: Beirut safety

Hi

I don't want to sound pig ignorant but I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if Beirut is a safe city?

I've been to NYC a good dozen times and had no issue, but all cities have their risks.

I've wanted to go to the Lebanon now for well over a decade and thinking I really should do it, however the world has changed a lot since 9-11 sadly, and wondering if a pasty white Scot with Ginger hair (I'll stand out a mile) has a backward completely incorrect view.

6 replies to this topic
Beirut, Lebanon
Level Contributor
116 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lebanon: Beirut safety

Oppesed as you would think, Lebanese are not dark skinned and do not look middle eastern. Many are white, Blonde, Brown.... since we are a mixt of different backgrounds. So no, you wouldnt stand out much.

On the safety issue, lebanon has cleared its border from ISIS last week, and is now 100% ISIS-Free.

Hotel occupancy have risen by 25% and the tourist arrival number saw a significant increase.

Lebanon is quite safe and is in its safest days for the past 25 years.

No bombings for over a year now, no stabbings, no kidnappings, no crazy drivers running over pedestrians...

so yes, do come and enjoy Lebanon. It's a piece of heaven that you'll love.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
26 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lebanon: Beirut safety

Thanks for the info. It's really part of the world I'm not too familiar in what to expect, and while it's easy to get a lot of misinformation using google, it's far better getting the info from a local.

10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Lebanon: Beirut safety

I have been in Beirut 3 times tha past 2 year and never felt unsafe. And the people are very friendly and open minded. Go and enjoy it!

Beirut, Lebanon
Destination Expert
for Beirut
Level Contributor
411 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lebanon: Beirut safety

so i believe you have been monitoring the situation in lebanon for more than a decade now, as well as other parts of the world, and probably have noticed that Beirut is much safer than many other places, so no worries.

Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lebanon: Beirut safety

I was just there alone- trust me not only will you feel safe you will notice no one will even give you a second glance :)

Beirut, Lebanon
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Lebanon: Beirut safety

Hi, i am a single female currently travelling in lebanon , being based in Beirut and I'd like to bring a live reaction to this post.

It's true that Lebanon is actually very safe and I 've never felt at risk anytime..

However, i must say that I very often feel extremely unconfortable walking down the steets and getting intensive looks by the males around in some place. I do not " stand out" at all as i am pretty mediterranean looking. I am very surprised because I kept readjng about how open is lebanon as opposee ro other middle-eastern countries. I did not feel that way in Dubai, nor in Jordan, nor in Oman, nor in Qatar...and i am dressed very appropriate.

I guess it's not everywhere, but it happens.

Again nothing aggressive or dangerous but unconfortable and annoying still.

Reply to: Lebanon: Beirut safety
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted