We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lebanon: Beirut safety

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
34 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Lebanon: Beirut safety

Hi

I don't want to sound pig ignorant but I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if Beirut is a safe city?

I've been to NYC a good dozen times and had no issue, but all cities have their risks.

I've wanted to go to the Lebanon now for well over a decade and thinking I really should do it, however the world has changed a lot since 9-11 sadly, and wondering if a pasty white Scot with Ginger hair (I'll stand out a mile) has a backward completely incorrect view.

Mentioned in this post
Beirut
Beirut
Lebanon
Lebanon
Lebanon
Middle East
Anjar, Baalbek, and Ksara Day Trip...
91 Reviews
US$95 per adult
Free Cancellation
Byblos, Jeita Grotto and Harissa Day...
93 Reviews
US$95 per adult
Free Cancellation
Tyre, Sidon and Maghdouche Day Trip...
23 Reviews
US$90 per adult
Free Cancellation
6 replies to this topic
Beirut, Lebanon
Level Contributor
146 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lebanon: Beirut safety

Oppesed as you would think, Lebanese are not dark skinned and do not look middle eastern. Many are white, Blonde, Brown.... since we are a mixt of different backgrounds. So no, you wouldnt stand out much.

On the safety issue, lebanon has cleared its border from ISIS last week, and is now 100% ISIS-Free.

Hotel occupancy have risen by 25% and the tourist arrival number saw a significant increase.

Lebanon is quite safe and is in its safest days for the past 25 years.

No bombings for over a year now, no stabbings, no kidnappings, no crazy drivers running over pedestrians...

so yes, do come and enjoy Lebanon. It's a piece of heaven that you'll love.

Mentioned in this post
Lebanon
Lebanon
Middle East
Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
34 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lebanon: Beirut safety

Thanks for the info. It's really part of the world I'm not too familiar in what to expect, and while it's easy to get a lot of misinformation using google, it's far better getting the info from a local.

11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Lebanon: Beirut safety

I have been in Beirut 3 times tha past 2 year and never felt unsafe. And the people are very friendly and open minded. Go and enjoy it!

Mentioned in this post
Beirut
Beirut
Lebanon
Beirut, Lebanon
Destination Expert
for Beirut
Level Contributor
460 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lebanon: Beirut safety

so i believe you have been monitoring the situation in lebanon for more than a decade now, as well as other parts of the world, and probably have noticed that Beirut is much safer than many other places, so no worries.

Mentioned in this post
Beirut
Beirut
Lebanon
Level Contributor
12 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lebanon: Beirut safety

I was just there alone- trust me not only will you feel safe you will notice no one will even give you a second glance :)

Beirut, Lebanon
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Lebanon: Beirut safety

Hi, i am a single female currently travelling in lebanon , being based in Beirut and I'd like to bring a live reaction to this post.

It's true that Lebanon is actually very safe and I 've never felt at risk anytime..

However, i must say that I very often feel extremely unconfortable walking down the steets and getting intensive looks by the males around in some place. I do not " stand out" at all as i am pretty mediterranean looking. I am very surprised because I kept readjng about how open is lebanon as opposee ro other middle-eastern countries. I did not feel that way in Dubai, nor in Jordan, nor in Oman, nor in Qatar...and i am dressed very appropriate.

I guess it's not everywhere, but it happens.

Again nothing aggressive or dangerous but unconfortable and annoying still.

Mentioned in this post
Beirut
Beirut
Lebanon
Lebanon
Lebanon
Middle East
Dubai
Dubai
Emirate of Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Jordan
Jordan