We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Never transit at Imam Khomeini Airport

GJ city
Level Contributor
1 post
21 reviews
Never transit at Imam Khomeini Airport

We had to layover at IKA for 10 hours (daytime) in May 2017.

Nobody attends the transfer desk.

No transit hall. You should just wait at the space before the border control area.

No facilities at all. (Correction: The toilet is located quite far but you can use it anyway.) Some metallic chairs along the wall. You are in the middle of rushing crowd when a new flight arrives.

Nobody cares. The security collects your passport and orders to just wait.

wait..

wait..

wait..

The best place to test your patience.

We were given our boarding pass 20 minutes before the boarding time (even though we were flying on business class and kept on asking about lounge service.) and could go to the air-side.

We found at the boarding gate that our bags were not arrived to IKA with us. Terrific.

This bureaucratic transit system certainly ruins the good image of Iran (if there is any.)

14 replies to this topic
Shiraz, Iran
Level Contributor
288 posts
20 reviews
1. Re: Never transit at Imam Khomeini Airport

ohhhh

keep calm.

your problems directly relate to your time of flight that your flight arrived Iran at crowded time when many flights arrive or depart Iran.

Shiraz, Iran
Destination Expert
for Iran
Level Contributor
851 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: Never transit at Imam Khomeini Airport

Hi. We've tried to pass on all the criticism to those who are in charge in IKA. I hope we see some changes soon. And honestly you're right. This is not the image you get from Iran and Iranians. I hope that you decide to visit our beautiful country someday.

Best,

Arshia

Tehran, Iran
Level Contributor
3 posts
36 reviews
3. Re: Never transit at Imam Khomeini Airport

sorry for the inconvenience caused , it is becasue we want you to stay more in Iran not to pass by !!

Bangalow, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
4. Re: Never transit at Imam Khomeini Airport

We have just been in transit in Tehran airport and no problems at all...that was yesterday 30th May 2017...we flew Air Asia from KL...when you get to the check in counter at KL make sure you have a fist full of Us dollars or Euro at least 200 the weird thing is they say do you have a visa?...so you say no but t I have cash...you hand the cash over they see it then hand it back...no problems...you arrive at the Tehran airport and go straight to the Transit counter...there a very nice helpful Air Asia man asked where we are flying on to... we were flying to Baku...he takes your baggage number and your passport...30 minutes later he comes back gives you your boarding pass and he has already loaded your baggage on...NO VISA REQUIRED...KEEP YOUR BAGGAGE NUMBERS.

Edited: 31 May 2017, 12:48
Bangalow, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
5. Re: Never transit at Imam Khomeini Airport

However you cannot buy anything while waiting next to the transit counter...there is toilets...a short walk away...women's was closed so they used the mens. YOU CAN BUY A TOURIST VISA AT THE AIRPORT

Edited: 31 May 2017, 12:54
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: Never transit at Imam Khomeini Airport

just be carefull when you transit at IKA. i just transit last week ,the transit officer is efficient but asking for money . lucky for me, while waiting for the boarding pass the security officer reminded us not to pay any money because the service is free.

Yazd Province, Iran
Level Contributor
135 posts
11 reviews
7. Re: Never transit at Imam Khomeini Airport

Dear friend,

You are absolutely right but we cannot generalized it to the image of Iran, of course Iran as a developing country faces lots of problems but what you see deeply in culture architecture and nature cannot deny its beauty and richness. I hope all those problems will be solved one day in near future.

Best wishes,

Amin

Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: Never transit at Imam Khomeini Airport

your flight arrived at bad time these problem are not usual at all

Isfahan, Iran
Level Contributor
984 posts
20 reviews
9. Re: Never transit at Imam Khomeini Airport

your problems directly relate to your time of flight

Karachi, Pakistan
2 posts
10. Re: Never transit at Imam Khomeini Airport

This is a bit shocking for me as I am going to karachi from Baku via Tehran and I am with my family.

Is there any body who can guide me the exact procedure.

I also have extra luggage with me and my time will be only 3 hours stay in Tehran.

Reply to: Never transit at Imam Khomeini Airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted