We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Healthcare in Bahrain

2 posts
Healthcare in Bahrain

I have a job offer in Manama. And I am joining by 20 Nov, 2017. The employer does not provide any health insurance. They say healthcare is provided by the Government and it is free and they have paid (72 BD) for it along with the Work visa.

In LMRA site, the healthcare status is given as ‘B’ .

I am so confused about this. Please explain in detail how the healthcare system works in Bahrain (for expats) ? Should I take any 3rd party health insurance/ travel insurance?

Also please let me know whether 1500 BD per month is a decent amount according to Manama standards ? How is the cost of living in Manama ? How much would one be able to save ?

Thanks is advance!!

5 replies to this topic
Dubai
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
3,762 posts
19 reviews
1. Re: Healthcare in Bahrain

BD1500 is a good salary depending on where you are coming from and your job and if you will be with family or not.

Basic healthcare is given to every resident in Bahrain, but anything more is paid for.

Bahrain
Level Contributor
33 posts
29 reviews
2. Re: Healthcare in Bahrain

BD 1500/- is a good salary with family, one kid. I would suggest to think of Health care plans if you are moving with family. Rest Government health care includes basics. you have to pay 7BD per visit for consultation and medicines.

2 posts
3. Re: Healthcare in Bahrain

Thanks Ammar.

In case of any serious ailment/surgery/emergency hospitalisation that has high expense...will the govt take care of this??

My employer does not provide external health insurance. They are saying that they have paid 72 BD for the govt provided healthcare scheme, along with the work visa fee. In LMRA site, the health care status for my visa is showing as ‘B’. My employer says that it will change to ‘A’ when my medical examination is done in Bahrain. Is this correct ? Should I be worried about it?

Should I take Travel insurance? But the problem is they don’t cover more than 3 months. Please suggest some good 3rd party insurance companies in Bahrain.

Edited: 13 November 2017, 10:07
Dubai
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
3,762 posts
19 reviews
4. Re: Healthcare in Bahrain

TO be safe take Health Insurance - its too costly to take a gamble.

Big insurance companies include Solidarity or AXA

Bahrain
Level Contributor
33 posts
29 reviews
5. Re: Healthcare in Bahrain

HI Debashis S,

Sorry for replying late, I can suggest you some name other than suggested above.

Gulf Union Insurance

Takaful International, Health 360

Reply to: Healthcare in Bahrain
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted