We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Municipal Tax 5%

Level Contributor
174 posts
10 reviews
Municipal Tax 5%

As of 14th Feb an additional 5% is added on to final bill of hotel stay. This is known as municipal tax and yes it's regardless of whether you have already booked.

Kaaba
Architectural Buildings
Grand Mosque
Points of Interest & Landmarks
Safa to Marwa
Points of Interest & Landmarks
17 replies to this topic
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
23,581 posts
2,314 reviews
11. Re: Municipal Tax 5%

Other countries have a sales tax so the Saudi's have right to impose one if they wish.

However it should only be right to point out that for decades they squandered their oil money, did little to improve their infrastructure.

London, United...
Level Contributor
535 posts
12. Re: Municipal Tax 5%

PrestonGuild

actually the hotels prices are already full of tax in saudi arabia but they are including VAT and Now Municipal Tax but still it's less then other Arab countries my friend stayed in Habtoor Grand Resort, Autograph Collection for 8 Nights and he paid £250 tax in price and he paid £190 city tax at hotel which means it is far more then Makkah and Medina Hotels.

London, United...
Level Contributor
281 posts
56 reviews
13. Re: Municipal Tax 5%

I feel extremely sad and angry at the Saudis. We've gone from paying £1100 for a 3 week umrah to paying £1300 for 2 weeks simply coz they haven't left any 4* options near the haram in Makkah. Then to be charging these taxes on top is sick. It's so sad that so many families can barely afford a 6-8 day umrah. I'm sure some will disagree but who the hell wants to pay for services like daily newspapers and gyms etc in Makkah, who has time for them?

London, United...
Level Contributor
535 posts
14. Re: Municipal Tax 5%

Fuz27

you are right 4* hotels are either on hills or if near they are more expensive than some of the 5* hotels.

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
15. Re: Municipal Tax 5%

I've stayed at Pullman zam zam both mecca and madinah

They charged me in mecca but not medina

Any ideas?

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,045 posts
35 reviews
16. Re: Municipal Tax 5%

Wez....be grateful! No need to over analyse

Edited: 05 April 2018, 14:38
London, United...
Level Contributor
535 posts
17. Re: Municipal Tax 5%

wez999

You might already paid while making booking or the included in price and did not mention or it can be any offer.

Reply to: Municipal Tax 5%
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Mecca