We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Municipal Tax 5%

Level Contributor
174 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Municipal Tax 5%

As of 14th Feb an additional 5% is added on to final bill of hotel stay. This is known as municipal tax and yes it's regardless of whether you have already booked.

Kaaba
Architectural Buildings
Grand Mosque
Points of Interest & Landmarks
Safa to Marwa
Points of Interest & Landmarks
17 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
535 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Municipal Tax 5%

it is from 1st Jan 2018 and people who have made bookings after that there agents must had already paid at the time of hotels booking and it Value Added Tax. and the tax you are talking about this is not implemented on Makkah and Medina Stay.

Level Contributor
174 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Municipal Tax 5%

It was displayed on the hotels website and it applies to both Makkah and Madinah...This is not the same as the one that come into force on 1st January

Level Contributor
174 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Municipal Tax 5%

This piece is from a Hajj and Umrah agent in the UK:

From January 1st a VAT charge of 5% was imposed on almost everything in Saudi Arabia. Without any advance warning a 5% on 4 and 5 star hotels and a 2.5% on all other accommodation housing pilgrims was imposed from 14th February by the municipalitys of Makkah and Madinah. This has a very big impact on Haj Packages but also have an impact on umra tours. Those who are yet to travel should be prepared to pay the new charges upon arriving at your booked accommodations.

London, United...
Level Contributor
535 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Municipal Tax 5%

Etiquette123

i am not sure about this but Saudi can do anything they can name it City Councils or Resorts charge additional fees or Municipal Tax etc

Level Contributor
174 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Municipal Tax 5%

I wasn't sure either until I seen it on the hotel's website and it said with effect 14th Feb regardless of whether existing or new bookings....what a Valentine's gift...5% :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
281 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Municipal Tax 5%

As if the hotels weren't expensive enough as it is. Saudis really aren't helping the average pilgrim much.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
23,420 posts
2,300 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Municipal Tax 5%

It looks like the Middle East countries are imposing a sales tax. Dubai did it early this year, the Saudis have followed.

Level Contributor
174 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Municipal Tax 5%

We were pilgrims many decades ago...now we are tourists

London, United...
Level Contributor
535 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Municipal Tax 5%

yes i can confirm this is now being charged on all new booking either at the time of hotel booking or at the time of hotel check in time and you are right it is 5% as municipal tax.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,991 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Municipal Tax 5%

I think calling it an 'Arrogance Tax' would be more appropriate

Reply to: Municipal Tax 5%
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Mecca