We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Strict Kosher Kitchen in Vacation Rental

Which Jerusalem hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Strict Kosher Kitchen in Vacation Rental

We have booked a stay at a vacation rental which has "strict kosher kitchen" does this mean we cannot eat non-kosher food in the apartment? or does it mean that we do not cook non-kosher food in the kitchen and observe kosher rules in the kitchen? we want to be able to buy food from a restaurant and eat it in the apartment.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,055 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Strict Kosher Kitchen in Vacation Rental

You need to check with the apartment owner/manager to see if they have a set of non-kosher kitchen utensils (dishes, pots, etc) for use by guests who do not keep kosher. Some rentals offer this option.

If it is not available and the description of the apartment stated that it is a strict kosher kitchen - then - yes, it means that you must adhere to the laws of a strictly kosher kitchen in terms of what you cook, prepare, or heat up in the kitchen. If you do not - then the kitchen will no longer be kosher.

If your major concern is buying take-out food from a restaurant - that may not be a problem as there are so many kosher restaurants that you could order in from.

San Francisco...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Strict Kosher Kitchen in Vacation Rental

thanks that helps.

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,810 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Strict Kosher Kitchen in Vacation Rental

A strict kosher kitchen is what it says and I suggest you check well in advance what the owners expect from you. If you "de-kosher" their place and they have to bring it back to it original status, it might be costly and you might be charged for that. I don't keep kosher so i would not rent such a place because I don't want to be accountable for its kosher status. I respect their beliefs. Just be exrta careful before renting.

Paragon
Level Contributor
1,747 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Strict Kosher Kitchen in Vacation Rental

The apartment we are renting in Jerusalem next week is kosher.............and the way the owner is dealing with it for us is that she has simply asked us to do only dairy during our stay.....and we readily agreed to that. *smile*

Kathy

Israel
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Strict Kosher Kitchen in Vacation Rental

I have rented places with kosher kitchens, but I actually use disposables during my stay because I never know if the other renters really kept the place kosher or not.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,375 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Strict Kosher Kitchen in Vacation Rental

I'm with IndigoGrrl--I do not rent apartments because I am concerned about Kashrut AND I will not eat in the short-term rented apartments of friends since I don't know what happened before they got there. While it is harder to mess up a place if you only eat dairy--it is NOT impossible!!!

Paragon
Level Contributor
1,747 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Strict Kosher Kitchen in Vacation Rental

We will do exactly as the lovely lady who owns the apartment asks of us.....apparently this has worked out successfully for her in the past as she owns several apartments. I guess that is all that I know to say. I probably should not comment on this subject (not being an "expert" at all....)....but, since the question was about rental etc. and we ARE renting I just thought it would be all right to chime in........................

Kathy

Israel
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Strict Kosher Kitchen in Vacation Rental

Kathy, I don't think you are doing anyhting wrong. You are doing what the rental owner asked you to do.

I'm just saying that from my perspective, (1) as rdglady said, this doesn't mean the kashrut of the place will be preserved (which is not your fault at all -- but the owner should rekasher before advertising the place as possessing a "kosher kitchen"), and (2) not everyone will be as kind as you are and abide by the rules the owners sets out, so you really never know.

It's like eating in a restaurant that says they are kosher, but which does not posess a kashrut certificate. It may very well be strictly kosher, or not at all, but who knows?

So I bring my own stuff anyway. :-)

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
9,033 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Strict Kosher Kitchen in Vacation Rental

And if you eat dairy using the meat dishes ...... ????

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,055 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Strict Kosher Kitchen in Vacation Rental

As all the posts have shown, the issue is very complex. For anyone who keeps kosher this is very important and I too fall into the group of those who wouldn't trust a vacation rental that insists it is kosher as there is no guarantee that the various people who stayed there, as well meaning as they are, maintained the kashrut.

However, for anyone renting a kosher apartment, it would be a good idea to check with the owner/manager and find out exactly what they expect of you.