We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip Izmir to Ephesus

Tel Aviv-Yafo, Tel...
Level Contributor
688 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip Izmir to Ephesus

Hi,

I'm interested in doing a day trip from Izmir to Ephesus and back, using public transportation.\

Is it possible? How exactly can i do it? What bus to take, how long does it take, etc...

Thanks

12 replies to this topic
Selcuk, Turkey
Level Contributor
2,925 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip Izmir to Ephesus

Hello Ori - Best, I think, to take the train from Basmane Station in Izmir, which brings you comfortably to Selcuk (where Ephesus is) in about 70 minutes, for around 2 USD.

From Selcuk station you could walk to Ephesus in 30 minutes or so, but you'll also find taxis waiting to help you (at a price to be negotiated). Or walk across town to the bus station and ask for the Minibus that goes past Ephesus.

Tel Aviv-Yafo, Tel...
Level Contributor
688 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip Izmir to Ephesus

Hi

Thanks for your answer. Is there any way to see the schedule of the trains and buses online?

Selcuk, Turkey
Level Contributor
2,925 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip Izmir to Ephesus

Minibuses leave Izmir Otogar every 40 minutes, but the bus station is well out of Izmir City, so it's a longer journey overall.

Assuming you wish to stay in the city itself for some reason, the train is best. TCDD web-site (link below) is amazingly user-unfriendly. Here are the times of departure from Basmane Stationn in Izmir. (Journey time to Selcuk about 1 hour and 20 minutes.)

Most visitors to Ephesus prefer to stay nights in Selcuk town or Kusadasi.

Depart İzmir (Basmane) 07:40 08:52 11:25 15:35 16:45 18:23

https:/…

Tel Aviv-Yafo, Tel...
Level Contributor
688 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip Izmir to Ephesus

Thanks for the information!

How long does it take to walk from the train station to the minibus station? How much cost the minibus?

And - how much time do i need to explore Ephesus?

4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip Izmir to Ephesus

You can even go from Izmir to Selcuk by suburban train now (Izban).

I guess you ask the distance between train station and minibus station at Selcuk. ıf so, it's 600 meters.

Tel Aviv-Yafo, Tel...
Level Contributor
688 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip Izmir to Ephesus

Thank u so much :-)

Cape Girardeau...
Level Contributor
493 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip Izmir to Ephesus

Ephesus s very large and you need at least four hours on the actual site for a fair exploration.

The extra-cost "Terrace Houses" exhibit is WELL worth the fee. During busy times this alone can take two hours or more--with no crowd it takes less than an hour.

Ephesus is always popular. November - April finds relatively few visitors. June-September finds not only enormous crowds due in large part to shore excursions from mega cruise ships but late morning through afternoon temperatures almost always "extremely hot" and "unbelievably hot" during mid-summer.

There are two entrance gates to the city--upper and lower. Frequent, cheap minibus service from Selçuk will take you to the road leading to both of these gates. The upper gate is quite close to the drop-off/pick-up point; the lower gate is a couple kilometers away.

Tel Aviv-Yafo, Tel...
Level Contributor
688 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip Izmir to Ephesus

Gurugram (Gurgaon...
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trip Izmir to Ephesus

I am also arriving at Izmir airport in a few days (around afternoon) and need to reach Pamukkale the same day.

Is train from the airport the best way to travel? I read somewhere that it's difficult to find a seat on the train? How to get a bus?

Also, is it possible to stop over at Ephesus on the way, spend 2 hrs and then catch another train or bus to Pamukkale. Do you know of timings of trains/ bus from selcuk to Pamukkale/Denizli.

Thanks in advance

Selcuk, Turkey
Level Contributor
2,925 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day trip Izmir to Ephesus

Depart Airport 08:06 09:15 11:45 15:56 17:06 18:45

Arrive Selcuk 09:07 10:21 12:47 16:56 18:07 19:47

Each of these trains goes on through to DENIZLI.

There's no left luggage facility at Selcuk Station.

Edited: 21 November 2017, 14:57
Reply to: Day trip Izmir to Ephesus
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted