We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to pay for hotel? - Lira, USD, or Euro

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
74 posts
33 reviews
How to pay for hotel? - Lira, USD, or Euro

Our hotel rate was quoted in Euros. We get a discount for paying in cash. We are coming from the US so bringing dollars with us is fairly easy. We could also get Euros in advance at a bank or my husband may be in Europe for work before our trip.

If we pay in USD for a rate quoted in Euros will we get a bad exchange rate? Would it be better to get Euros in advance and pay with those?

Gloucestershire...
Level Contributor
7,098 posts
17 reviews
1. Re: How to pay for hotel? - Lira, USD, or Euro

It depends on your hotel. Most hotels we have stayed in use the day's exchange rate, and so you will get a good deal whatever currency you use. We have paid in £, $, € and Turkish lira depending on what we have!

I would advise against changing $ to Euros before you come, as you will lose on the exchange rate twice. If you need to (ie check what the hotel is going to charge first, and then check the day's exchange rate) change to Euros in Istanbul - or else (probably better still - but check what the hotel is charging you) pay in Turkish Lira.

Louisville
Level Contributor
80 posts
2. Re: How to pay for hotel? - Lira, USD, or Euro

I just returned and while the hotel quoted the price in Euro, they accepted payment in Lira, USD or Euro. I simply did an ATM transaction and payed in Lira. I would check with the hotel.

London
Level Contributor
9,073 posts
54 reviews
3. Re: How to pay for hotel? - Lira, USD, or Euro

Last week my hotel was quoted in euros. I paid with my credit card and they converted euro to turkish lira. When I get my credit card bill this will then be converted to sterling. I did my own calculations and do not think I am losing out amongst the conversions. I remember previous posts few months ago a poster complained got disadvantageous exchange rate with hotel and did in fact lose out. So best to know the current exchange rates and query with hotel before paying if you think not correct.

Gloucestershire...
Level Contributor
7,098 posts
17 reviews
4. Re: How to pay for hotel? - Lira, USD, or Euro

There are big advantages to paying in cash - you generally get a discount for cash plus you see then and there what the exchange rate is (not a month later when your credit card bill comes in and you can do nothing about it!).

If you can carry enough cash to Istanbul to pay for your hotel, you will not have to lose out on paying an international transaction fee from your bank for using the ATM either!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,173 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: How to pay for hotel? - Lira, USD, or Euro

I wouldn't get a lot of cash out of the bank,very risky,as you could lose it.

Use your ATM/credit card to withdraw money as needed in Istanbul and use the card to pay for your hotel. I have never has any problems using an American ATM card with VISA on it.

they charged my card in Turkish lira,which was converted by my bank a few days later. I agree about not bringing euros with you,very easy to convert dollars to lira at banks and exchange bureaus.

6. Re: How to pay for hotel? - Lira, USD, or Euro

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 April 2010, 06:19