We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware Lao Skyways

Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Beware Lao Skyways

I booked a flight from Vientiane to Luang Prabang via Lao Skyways. I checked on the status of my flight 12 hours before departure on the website and it said it was on time.

I arrived at the airport and went to the Lao Skyways check in counter. The attendant told me to go into the line for Lao Airlines even after I showed him my online confirmation.

We waited in line for nearly an hour, and finally got to the counter. Surprise, not able to check in as it was for the wrong airline. They told us to go to Lao Skyway ticket counter, but no one was there, even though the operation hours said someone should be there. There was a group of people, who were equally concerned and confused, that were supposed to be on my flight.

We got someone from Lao Airlines to try and track down someone from Lao Skyways. At first, they refused to come out from the back. After some time, a lady came out and said that there are no flights today. She tried to give me a phone number to call. I told her that I wasn't able to make phone calls. After some waiting a man gave me his phone with someone on the other end. Basically they said that the flight was canceled and I should have received an email (never did) and they refused to do anything else for me. They couldn't put me on a flight the next day or refund my money right away (they said it will take 30 days).

Save yourself the headache, don't book with this airline. They are incredibly unprofessional and rude. They laughed at us as we stressed and tried to figure out a solution.

31 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
82 reviews
21. Re: Beware Lao Skyways

I was dubious after somewhat negative online reviews and comments from a few locals.

However, i was really impressed by the Lao Skyway service - better than European budget airlines, and better than Air Asia.

I flew with them twice in Dec 17.

POSITIVES

- cheap flights

- free checked in bag allowance

- quick counter check in service (no need to do online)

- early/ timely flight departure and arrival, both flights i took

- clean, quality plane

- Good service on board by staff

- Give water and a snack

- Provide umbrellas for the walk in the heat between airport and plane

Overall, a really good experience for a budget flight

Don Khone, Laos
1 post
1 review
22. Re: Beware Lao Skyways

We flew from Vientiane to Pakse last sunday afternoon, No problems whatsoever: straightforward online booking, secure cc-payment, immediate confirmation by email. Flight left a little ahead of schedule and arrived early. Staff on the ground and on board were efficient and less grumpy than what seems to be the standard in Laos. We paid 850000 kip for the two of us, including checked baggage and a charge for the use of a credit card. Unbeatable!

Richmond, Ontario...
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
23. Re: Beware Lao Skyways

I’m a fan. However, be alert. Last week we flew Luang Prabang to Phonesavan. Booking said 11:15 departure. Electric sign at airport said Check in 10:30 to 13:00, reflecting old time (which still showed on line at Skyway schedule). They told us sign was wrong. When my friend returned to LP they called for boarding repeatedly giving my flight number and my flight to Vientiene wasn’t for two more hours. This was said in both Lao and English. I’m on them again Friday and recommend Lao Skyways, good price and luggage allowance.

Edited: 14 February 2018, 10:39
Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
89 posts
137 reviews
24. Re: Beware Lao Skyways

We just flew with them today, from Luang Prabang to Vientiane, and all went well. Cheap and cheerful!

Texas
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
25. Re: Beware Lao Skyways

We have been using Lao Airlines directly thru their web site with no problems. We used them from Vietnam to Laos and in Laos. http://www.laoairlines.com/?

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,540 posts
95 reviews
26. Re: Beware Lao Skyways

"We have been using Lao Airlines directly thru their web site with no problems." That is nice, but Lao Airlines is not Lao Skyways.

Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
27. Re: Beware Lao Skyways

How did you get there? Im looking at going on the same route in november

Vientiane Province...
Level Contributor
13 posts
23 reviews
28. Re: Beware Lao Skyways

Hello, I m sorry to hear that. Between the flight cancelled is during low season, it cause this low cost short haul flight cancel due to commercial reason. I hope you can choose Lao Airlines in the future. I believe Lao Airlines make a lot changes now and big improvement for this airlines.

Vientiane Province...
Level Contributor
13 posts
23 reviews
29. Re: Beware Lao Skyways

please try to book online https://laoskyway.com/mobile

Adelaide
Level Contributor
1 post
38 reviews
30. Re: Beware Lao Skyways

We went with Lao Skyways late August 2018, booked online about a month before. No problems, smooth check in, plane left on time.

However Lao Skyways use the Chinese MA60 planes, and these are not safe planes. They have had about 3 hull loses outside China, including one killing everyone on the plane, and there are only about 30 flying. It is not a safe plane that is not FAA approved, or EU approved, check Wikipedia. Hub via BKK on something safer. I regret risking a flight on these planes.

Edited: 29 August 2018, 07:08
Reply to: Beware Lao Skyways
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted