We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware Lao Skyways

Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Beware Lao Skyways

I booked a flight from Vientiane to Luang Prabang via Lao Skyways. I checked on the status of my flight 12 hours before departure on the website and it said it was on time.

I arrived at the airport and went to the Lao Skyways check in counter. The attendant told me to go into the line for Lao Airlines even after I showed him my online confirmation.

We waited in line for nearly an hour, and finally got to the counter. Surprise, not able to check in as it was for the wrong airline. They told us to go to Lao Skyway ticket counter, but no one was there, even though the operation hours said someone should be there. There was a group of people, who were equally concerned and confused, that were supposed to be on my flight.

We got someone from Lao Airlines to try and track down someone from Lao Skyways. At first, they refused to come out from the back. After some time, a lady came out and said that there are no flights today. She tried to give me a phone number to call. I told her that I wasn't able to make phone calls. After some waiting a man gave me his phone with someone on the other end. Basically they said that the flight was canceled and I should have received an email (never did) and they refused to do anything else for me. They couldn't put me on a flight the next day or refund my money right away (they said it will take 30 days).

Save yourself the headache, don't book with this airline. They are incredibly unprofessional and rude. They laughed at us as we stressed and tried to figure out a solution.

31 replies to this topic
Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
23,355 posts
177 reviews
1. Re: Beware Lao Skyways

To be honest I've never heard of this airline. Is it one of the many new ones which have emerged in the area in recent times?

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,534 posts
95 reviews
2. Re: Beware Lao Skyways

It has been around for a little while now. You get what you pay for.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
356 posts
174 reviews
3. Re: Beware Lao Skyways

Or rather don't get what you pay for.

Worcester, United...
Level Contributor
195 posts
20 reviews
4. Re: Beware Lao Skyways

Many Thanks for that helpful advice I have used Lao airlines frequently during the last few years and have been very happy with their service and on the eve of my next trip I will definitely use them again and NOT entertain Skyways

Thanks Alastair

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,347 posts
278 reviews
5. Re: Beware Lao Skyways

Lao Skyway are not new, just rebranded. They were Lao Air, who have been around over a decade and have a lot of experience in Laos. They are not a budget airline either, but offer routes that Lao Airlines don't.

Also - one bad experience, as bad as it was, does not mean they should be condemned forever. I used them 8 times in 2015 to get to Houayxay and back and they were always on time with brand new planes. As Lao Airlines do not fly this route, the alternative would be a flight to Luang Namtha then a 3-4 hour drive, so I found them very handy.

Worcester, United...
Level Contributor
195 posts
20 reviews
6. Re: Beware Lao Skyways

Many thanks for your comments on Skyways It could not have come at a better time as I am planning to visit China from Laos towards the end of this month and I was resigned to flying to Luang NamTha and bussing up to the border and beyond so you have offered me an option I have not yet acquired my Chinese Visa and hope to do that in either Vientiane or Bangkok

Just out of interest I came across a very reasonable flight to Hong Kong from Bangkok with Bangkok Airways well below £100 ;the flight to Luang NamTha was over £200 !!

Thanks again Alastair

2 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: Beware Lao Skyways

Hi, I have booked the Gibbon Experience and need to get from Vientiane to Huay xai. I've been trying to book the flight with lao skyways but the website won't process the payment. I've tried emailing them but no one replies to me. Does anyone know the likelihood of the flight being full or could I get a ticket at the airport? What alternative options do I have?

Also, does anyone know about storing baggage in Huay xai while I am doing the gibbon experience? Many thanks

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,347 posts
278 reviews
8. Re: Beware Lao Skyways

Hi - the website hasn't been working for a while now but you can go into their office in Vientiane and book when you get here. There is no baggage storage at Houayxay airport but if you have a night in a Houayxay guesthouse before you go to the Gibbon Exp, they should store it for you no problems.

Worcester, United...
Level Contributor
195 posts
20 reviews
9. Re: Beware Lao Skyways

I am not sure whether you received my response to your querie regarding Skyways Personally I have found Skyways Airlines ok and have had no bad experiences I booked my flights through a travel agent in Vientiane with no problems I would not go to the airport in the hope they can sell you a ticket as you may be disappointed

Laos Airlines are also good but a little bit more expensive and their web site is easy to navigate

Happy Landings

Alastair

Worcester, United...
Level Contributor
195 posts
20 reviews
10. Re: Beware Lao Skyways

I am not sure whether you received my response to your querie regarding Skyways Personally I have found Skyways Airlines ok and have had no bad experiences I booked my flights through a travel agent in Vientiane with no problems I would not go to the airport in the hope they can sell you a ticket as you may be disappointed

Laos Airlines are also good but a little bit more expensive and their web site is easy to navigate

Happy Landings

Alastair

Reply to: Beware Lao Skyways
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted