We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 hour layover in Vientiane

Level Contributor
8 posts
10 reviews
3 hour layover in Vientiane

I have a 3hr layover in Vientiane in May. Arrive on a Monday at 11:00 and depart 13:50 the same day. My plan is to land, get a tourist visa then get a taxi to Pha That Luang. Do a quick (15-30min) visit and snap some photos then hop back in the same taxi and go to the airport. I'd ask the driver to wait for me while I'm at the stupa. I'd probably arrange the car & driver in advance to save time.

1. Google traffic predicts a 20-30 min ride each way to/from the stupa at that time of day. Is this accurate?

2. Is this possible to do? I know time will be tight and I'm ok with that.

3. I have no checked bag, just a carry on. Does VTE have a left luggage counter or do I need to carry my bag with me?

3 replies to this topic
Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,534 posts
95 reviews
1. Re: 3 hour layover in Vientiane

This is a waste of time. If you are in transit you will need to pay for a visa. The traffic is bad at this time of the day as well.

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,347 posts
278 reviews
2. Re: 3 hour layover in Vientiane

It is possible but very tight - if you land at 11 you would not be in a taxi till 11.30, if the visa queue is small.

The latest you can check in with hand luggage only for a 1350 flight is about 1300, so if you are lucky with the visa queue you would have 90 mins. That is enough to get a taxi to and from That Luang. I often get a 1150 flight to Phnompenh and the taxi is 25 minutes at that time of day, and I am further from the airport than That Luang.

But - if you are not clear of the airport and in a taxi by 11.30 I would not risk it.

3. Re: 3 hour layover in Vientiane

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 20 February 2018, 07:05

Reply to: 3 hour layover in Vientiane
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted