We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

OK to bring 100usd notes to change?

Auchterarder...
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
123 reviews
OK to bring 100usd notes to change?

I know, probably another daft question, but will we have any issues about changing $100 notes? I’ve just been to the ATM in Cambodia and taken out some money which we were planning on using to change to KIP when we get to Laos, but of course it’s in $100 notes. I know we were told to have smaller denominations here but I’m guessing for changing at money changers that’s not an issue?

I clearly have too much time on my hands as I’m over analysing everything!

19 replies to this topic
Cairns
Level Contributor
2,148 posts
52 reviews
1. Re: OK to bring 100usd notes to change?

HI

US$ is not a primary currency in Laos - this begs the question why take out US$ in Cambodia to change into KIP in Laos which simply creates two exchanges of currency

Whilst you may find some high end services that will still accept US$, KIP is the main currency within Laos, also suggest you do not exchange more than you need as with the Cambodia Reil, it is a soft currency and you will not be able to use it outside Laos.

Good Luck

Auchterarder...
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
123 reviews
2. Re: OK to bring 100usd notes to change?

Fair point, but we have a usd bank account already and bought the currency when it was still at 1.7 so it’s been cheaper for us to use that while in Cambodia than using our GBP account to withdraw cash. And the same goes for when we get our kip.

If we have leftover usd it’s no odds as we just keep it for our next trip to the US. And yes, aware that we need to avoid having leftover kip at the end of the trip.

Thanks.

Auchterarder...
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
123 reviews
3. Re: OK to bring 100usd notes to change?

Oh, forgot to mention our accommodation will cost in the region of $500, or the kip equivalent, anyway as we’re there 10 days.

4. Re: OK to bring 100usd notes to change?

I recommend it and do go to the Bank exchanger. With small bills you will lose value, example with $100 you can get the full rate 830,000 kip vs $10 you'll most likely and definitely will get only about 80,000 kip ofcourse this is with merchants. There's more to it about exchanging money in Laos and I won't go into details.

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,596 posts
95 reviews
5. Re: OK to bring 100usd notes to change?

Unless you change a LOT of money, there is no difference in the exchange rate, and even then it is only minimal.

Yes, it is fine to change 100 dollar notes.

Auchterarder...
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
123 reviews
6. Re: OK to bring 100usd notes to change?

Thanks everyone, appreciate all your comments.

puerto princesa
Level Contributor
8,275 posts
539 reviews
7. Re: OK to bring 100usd notes to change?

Money changers love the big notes so you will have no problem changing them

Auchterarder...
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
123 reviews
8. Re: OK to bring 100usd notes to change?

Thanks!

london
Level Contributor
229 posts
7 reviews
9. Re: OK to bring 100usd notes to change?

Just changed $100US today in Vientianne and got a rate of 826,300 - no problem with high value notes.

Auchterarder...
Level Contributor
1,055 posts
123 reviews
10. Re: OK to bring 100usd notes to change?

Thanks Sybil47.

Any recommendations on places to eat or things to do? Are you enjoying yourself?

Reply to: OK to bring 100usd notes to change?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Vientiane