We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Killing Fields and 3.5yo son

Nhulunbuy NT
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Killing Fields and 3.5yo son

Would you take a 3.5 year old child to the Killing Fields? Are there facilities there that could allow one parent to wait outside with the child?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,316 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Killing Fields and 3.5yo son

Maybe the Child would'nt understand it? But as there are two of you, one go on and see what they think? The other can wait with the Child out the front, there are'nt really facilities to wait, but there are shaded areas and a drinks stall?

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,094 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Killing Fields and 3.5yo son

The child wouldn't get it. The last time I visited all I saw was a grassy area(where bones/skulls had been dug up) and a tower with glass sides containing some of said bones and skulls.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,597 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Killing Fields and 3.5yo son

I doubt that a 3.5 year old child would understand what is going on. I would encourage you all to go together and take in the experience

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,316 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Killing Fields and 3.5yo son

I'm sorry my first answer was regarding the Tuol Sleng museum!! I should do as l preach and read the question properly eh!

As Millsie says, the child won't get it, go together.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,389 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Killing Fields and 3.5yo son

Last time we were there, which is some time ago, there was no ticket box, drink stand or any tourist stuff at all. The atmosphere was errie, quiet and sad and we found ourselves weeping for the tragedy of the place.

We went there, not for curiosity, but to pay our respects to the many people who lost their lives so awfully in that spot, so I feel that quiet contemplation to respect the passed is important.

For those reasons, no I wouldn't take my toddler to such a place as I don't really think it's appropriate.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,174 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Killing Fields and 3.5yo son

My 2c worth

we chose not to visit Choeung Ek, but did visit Tuol Sleng. I found myself deeply moved (and shed many tears) at Tuol Sleng and felt that a visit to Cheoung Ek un-necessary. I wonder how you might explain your reaction to the killing fields to your son? Seeing his parents visibly upset and not being able to comprehend why is not the kind of holiday memory I'd want my children to have.

helen

Phillip Island...
Level Contributor
772 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Killing Fields and 3.5yo son

Hi, we visited in May with our 3.5 year old and I would not hesitate to recommend it. It was very moving and interesting. Our son still talks about it. We also combined this tour with the Blazing trails quad bikes-it was awesome. You tour through the villages on the outskirts of PP, handing toys to children (with the happiest smiling faces around)- highly recommended. Have a great trip.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,094 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Killing Fields and 3.5yo son

PLEASE do not hand out ANYTHING at random to the people there.

If you wish to help the local people, contact a school beforehand and ask them what their needs are. Plenty of schools need supplies, sports equipment, etc. which you can easily (and inexpensively) purchase at a local market, thus helping the local economy as well.

Phillip Island...
Level Contributor
772 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Killing Fields and 3.5yo son

Why?????

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,174 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Killing Fields and 3.5yo son

would you want a bunch of total strangers handing stuff out to your kids? Why do we teach our kids not to accept things from strangers?

it also encourages a begging culture - something not to be encouraged in Cambodia or anywhere else for that matter. If you want to help, do as Maneki suggests above or find a good NGO (and really do your research to find a good one - so many scam ones about) and make a commitment to a long term relationship.