We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going around in circles, please share your advice

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
549 posts
199 reviews
Save Topic
Going around in circles, please share your advice

Hello everyone,

We are heading to HCMC for 4 nights on the way to another trip and I really want to visit the Mekong delta but I am going around and around in circles trying to decide if we should do a 1 or 2 night stay and also if we should visit Cai be or Ben Tre or if it's worth traveling the extra distance & going to Can Tho?

We fly into HCMC at 3pm Monday and fly out of HCMC Friday night at midnight. The main thing we want to do is the Tunnels as my husband is right into war history. In the Mekong delta I would like to do a floating market, a cycle ride, a cruise through the canals & anything to show their culture & way of life.

Lastly, should we arrange our own transport out there and hotel and do our own thing or do a tour?

We don't usually like tours and having to follow their time constraints of when and where to stop but we know nothing about the Mekong to know what to do otherwise. Any experiences with overnight authentic trips? I am also considering staying on an overnight boat too......see, as I said -around in circles!!

Thanks for any help.

Tracy

Can Tho, Vietnam
Level Contributor
129 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Going around in circles, please share your advice

The best option that match all your wish above is travel to Cai Be, then cruise to Can tho with one night on boat. Next morning they will take you to the floating market, small canal and biking tour( if you book). Drive back to Sai Gon in the afternoon.

Ben Tre, Vietnam
Level Contributor
2,334 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Going around in circles, please share your advice

Ben Tre first and then Can Tho for Cai Rang floating market (Convenient and Worthy).

Cheers,

DinHo

Level Contributor
47 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going around in circles, please share your advice

Sights in Mekong delta is quite similar from place to place. Overnight on a cruise in MK delta is also a great experience. You could go direct to Can Tho, do a maybe 1 or 2 nights cuise then drive back to HCM.

Can Tho, Vietnam
Level Contributor
213 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going around in circles, please share your advice

It should be the first night in Saigon for Vespa tour in the evening. You can experience the night life of Saigon and enjoy food, coffes songs and bar.

Two nights in Mekong Delta where you can experience the traditional life of Mekong people, join in local activities like gardening, cooking, biking, ditch fishing hook... in Cai Be and then one night in Can Tho for floating market.

If you prefer to watch rare birds so you can go ahead to Tram Chim national park and overnight there before back to Saigon and take a home flight. If you wanna have a city tour, you can back to Saigon and stay one night there. Then you can take a city tour include Cu Chi tunnel.

Cheers,

Tony - Mekong Rustic

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
549 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Going around in circles, please share your advice

Thanks everyone.

What do you think of this..... first night in Saigon doing Vespa tour, the next day Cu Chi tunnels day tour and stay that night in Saigon again. Next morning(wed) head to Mekong and stay 2 nights (where still to be determined) then go straight from the Mekong back for our flight out Friday evening?

Any suggestions on what you have done and loved would be greatly appreciated:)

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
549 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Going around in circles, please share your advice

Thanks Dinho. Are you suggesting a night in Ben Tre or just a visit on the way through?

Ben Tre, Vietnam
Level Contributor
2,334 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Going around in circles, please share your advice

1 night in Ben Tre and 1 night in Can Tho is the best. Some hotels in Ben Tre city and some homestays in a village.

Cheers,

DinHo

8. Re: Going around in circles, please share your advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 April 2018, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Mekong Delta