We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ben Tre and Can Tho: organized trip or local bus?

Italy
Level Contributor
403 posts
103 reviews
Ben Tre and Can Tho: organized trip or local bus?

Can you help me to decide between these two options?

1)going to Ben Tre independently with a bus, then spend a night in a place that seems very nice (Mekong home), and ask them to arrange A boat trip in the channels. Then resume the bus the following day at 13: 30 and move to Can Tho, sleep there and visit the floating markets the next day, and the following mori Nga take a Plane to Da Nang

2) use organized excursion, including Ben Tre and Can Tho, making me leave to Can Tho and then take the plane for Da Nang.

I'd be more inclined to the first solution, but I have some fears to be able to organize the various outputs directly to the place in a short time, what do you recommend?

6 replies to this topic
Ben Tre, Vietnam
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
1 review
1. Re: Ben Tre and Can Tho: organized trip or local bus?

Both options are fine (It depends on you). Make sure you keep on time for a 1:30 pm Hoa Hiep bus to Can Tho from Ben Tre bus station (Option 1).

Hanoi
Level Contributor
1,552 posts
82 reviews
2. Re: Ben Tre and Can Tho: organized trip or local bus?

In such a short time and considering that you do not speak Viet and bus controllers no English, take an organized excursion Ben Tre + Can Tho and Cai Rang Floating Market

Ho Chi Minh City...
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
9,186 posts
49 reviews
3. Re: Ben Tre and Can Tho: organized trip or local bus?

Do the first solution - it is more fun. You see a bit of local life, and I love the remote homestays in the area. It is also cheaper.

And with 3 days you have time to do so.

The only advantage of a tour (do not take a group tour - as you will cover a lot of tourist "traps") is you could stop on the way - but it is more expensive.

Italy
Level Contributor
403 posts
103 reviews
4. Re: Ben Tre and Can Tho: organized trip or local bus?

As I don't speek Vietnamese, how can I know when to get off from the bus in Ben Tre and in Can Tho?

London
Destination Expert
for Salta
Level Contributor
4,331 posts
308 reviews
5. Re: Ben Tre and Can Tho: organized trip or local bus?

We speak next to know Vietnamese and managed just fine.Buses will stop at the bus stations in both Ben Tre and Can Tho and it is very obvious in both cases. In Bentre te bus ticket included transport by a smaller bus direct to our hotel. Most hotels or Homestays are geared up to arrange boat trips.

Here is a link to our blog of our time in Ben Tre https:/… at the bottom of that post is a link to the onward boat trip we took to Can Tho. Takes all day but worth it to see the wider Mekong (Ben Tre is all about the smaller canals).

In Can Tho it’s easy to arrange an early morning boat trip to Cai Rang at the dock or via your accommodation. Best done at dawn.also possible to arrange this from a homestay out in te co7ntryside rather than the city.

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,640 posts
42 reviews
6. Re: Ben Tre and Can Tho: organized trip or local bus?

Post#4...

Write it down and show the driver. Has worked every time for me on countless bus journeys.

Regarding organised tours - you're stuck with their itinerary and have to move at the same pace as the group. Guides will often move on and leave people behind!

Edited: 25 October 2018, 12:43
Reply to: Ben Tre and Can Tho: organized trip or local bus?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted