We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency exchange at airport

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
145 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Currency exchange at airport

I assume there are currency exchange booths at the Phuket airport but are they open all hours and do they offer good rates?

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,423 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Currency exchange at airport

Hi

Not sure if they are open 24/7, but rates will not be as good as you get in some places [but better than you would at home], and the difference will only be a small difference and a good enough rate for you to get reasonable value to exchange money to get money changed until you get to resort.

The forex on the quiet end of the streets tend to offer better rates, we found a differece of 1-0.50 thb from a forex in the centre of the resort (where everyone would go) to one on the edge . . .

Edited: 02 March 2011, 07:18
Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,544 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Currency exchange at airport

Hi,

yes, there are.. as well as ATM's..

Rates will vary by a small margin between the various competing banks and even the non-banks... so it might pay to look around before you do exchange.... BUT.. the rates at the airport location of any one bank will be the same as all of the banks in-town offices.. There is no airport-penalty price per se in that regard.

When one bank changes their rates, they do so for all branches across the Kingdom at once via their in-house computers. So do shop the different banks, but there is no need to shop different branches of the same bank.

Travel Safe,

Edited: 02 March 2011, 07:21
Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
1,199 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Currency exchange at airport

When we flew to Phuket from Sydney 2 yrs ago we arrived about 9pm and nothing was open...not even the customs guys were there! Might have changed in 2 yrs though. We used an ATM just outside the airport to get enough baht for a taxi and until we could get to a money exchange the next day.

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach
Level Contributor
5,461 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Currency exchange at airport

That has not really changed. Many ATM's already inside the airport though, may be more convenient.

London, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Currency exchange at airport

I always change some money at the airport to get going. The rate was better than what was being offered in the resort (Cape Panwa, Phuket)

Broadbeach...
Level Contributor
1,347 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Currency exchange at airport

I change $30 at the Airport before i leave Australia and it costs me about $1.80 more than what it would cost at Phuket Airport.

Saves the hassle when i land.

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
145 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Currency exchange at airport

Thanks everyone for your responses.

8. Re: Currency exchange at airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 22:19